Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Carriage Bolts, bands and other confusing things....

shoresdiver
shoresdiver Posts: 3
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am a newby LBGE owner, and am thrilled.  BUT, I have some questions about assembly, etc.

I assembled my egg based on the on-line video and the instructions that came with the grill.  There were a couple of conflicts which I think I worked out (but I would welcome input if anyone thinks I got them wrong.)

On the rings, after working hard to get the lower ring as low as possible, and then realizing that the spacing imposed by the hinges would not let me get the upper ring high enough (in spite of all my pounding, pulling, tugging and cussing), I found the thread that indicated that with the new hinge, the lower band should be just below the lower gasket, and the upper band just above the upper gasket.  I loosened everything, and re-alligned the bands.

Next question - how tight to tighten the carriage bolts?  The printed instructions said 10 foot pounds, and gave a few paragraphs of instruction on how to figure out when you were at 10 foot pounds.  The video just said tighten.  The sales guy at the store said tighten them as tight as possible - until you see the bolts bend.  I understand that these are grade 5 bolts, and so 10ft/lbs should not even approach the bolt's strength.  Frankly, that seemed low, but I don't want to crush the dome on my first day, so 10 ft.lbs it is...  I checked it after the first 2 cooks, and it remains tight at 10 ft/lbs.  

However, the lower band has slipped down a little (probably due to the weight of the dome), and the upper band has likewise slipped down so that it is touching the gasket (probably pulled down by the hinge when I close the grill).  I am going to loosen everything, and move the bands back up to the correct place this afternoon.

BUT, in reading some threads, I have seen cautions about "re-using" the carriage bolts (without any explanation).  I can't imagine that a grade 5 bolt would be affected in any way by 10 ft/lbs (or probably 70-90 ft/lbs)  Further, the instructions tell you to re-tighten at intervals. I suppose if you have bent the bolts, you might not want to re-bend them in another direction, but I can't imagine another reason for replacement.

Should I go buy new bolts?  How tight should I tighten the bolts? How do I know if the dome is in peril of slipping?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Lg BGE

Compromise is the best and cheapest lawyer -- R.L. Stevenson  

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    til they bend, then again in a couple weeks, then tighten them again after 6 months, then check them every year. ive reusued the bolts many times, never replaced one and take one egg apart frequently for travel. just check on them in the beginning til the band seats itself
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The dome is hard to crush because it is strong in the way an arch is strong.
    I honestly think you'd break a bolt before you could collapse the dome, but I'm not going to try.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The bolts will break long before you bust the dome.  I used an impact wrench and torqued them down until they bent, then torqued them some more.  Never had to re-tighten, never had one slip.  Had to realign the dome after a gasket replacement, but reused the bolts and no problems since.
    You have done everything right, IMHO. 
    I get the lower band in the correct position and then put some tension on it. Then with the dome in place set it as well. Make sure the lower is level and while putting some weight on the dome, tighten them up to 10ft-lbs. I check them after the first 2 or 3 cooks. Bolts have a slight bend.

Check every six months or so.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    So does the band sit in the groove or on the edge?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    The band should be a millimeter or so from the edge. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

The band should be a millimeter or so from the edge. 

I'm slow so....my egg has a 1/8" lip with a groove that looks like the band should fit in

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    Which one do you have?  Anyway, here's a pic of mine. It's a large.  The band is about a millimeter from the edge of the hemisphere.  1/16".  1/8" would be fine too.  Important thing is the bands are parallel with each other and the opening.

edited October 2012
    Nola, What's that white stuff between your base and dome? :D

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Why, that's North Alabama white BBQ sauce! :)
    edited October 2012
    Is that the high q one? Thinking of pulling the trigger on six sets if it holds up

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    I think so.  SWMBO bought it on Amazon.  Self-adhesive Nomex.  What you're seeing is the only white part left.  It's been on for a few months.  We should have called HQ for warranty replacement since our egg is less than a year old.
    Then you have to glue it. I have a couple of glue on ones that came with eggs and some more that a friend sent me before they were available in Canada. I want simple, I like the Rutland but not sure if BGE is going to start doing the void warranty thing as time goes by.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• OK, so for us newbys, what is High Q withe vs. stick on Nomex?  (I know what Nomex is... What is the best gasket, and whe to I know that I need it).

BTY, I did pizzas tonight (after taking your adjustment advice on the bands).  The wind in S. Fla came up, and the temp jumped to 650.  I was watching and the crust came out incredible.  No pictures - I was moving to fast trying to save dinner!

I will post pictures of my table once we get an afternoon without rain!  Thanks to all you helpful people who help us new guys keep from screwing up too bad.  

Question,
    I was trying for a 500 degree pizza cook.  Charcoal up to the fire bowl, lit in 5 places.  Platesetter with legs up.  Grid and my old pizza stone on top of that to get max temp.  Got temps up to 500 fairly easy, but at that point had a hard time controlling temp.  I would swing the daisy wheel closed, with all the vents open, and almost immediately lose 100 degrees (I was at about 435-450 at that point, and the needle dropped like a rock).

I ended up leaving the whole wheel displaced to the side, and working with the bottom vent.  This worked well until the wind came up, and I got the 150 degree bonus.  What am I doing wrong?  (not a problem with pizza, but I'm glad I did not have some prime steaks or a brisket on there...(not that I would ever show brisket more than 210F)   
    Lg BGE

• nolaegghead
    You can buy Nomex with or without the self-adhesive back.  High-Que is just another source for it.  Nomex is a good gasket material.  Rutland is another.  I've never heard of a Rutland burning up, but they're fiberglass and they can get friable with age.

Sounds like the wind was blowing in your bottom vent and causing the temp to increase.  If you can, block the wind or turn the egg so the vent is facing away from the wind.  Also, you can use the top daisy wheel plate as a giant damper.  Try half way closed to start.   Although you only need one vent to control, if both are set, it's more resistant to fluctuations from wind.