Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cookware discussion

2»

Comments

• I'm with Botch for the most part. For a low budget, you could buy multiple cast iron skillets, a Calphalon non-stick sauce pan, and a relatively cheap non-stick skillet (none of them last a lifetime). Then for a stockpot, i would get enameled cast iron of the appropriate sizes. Also a cheap, huge ss stock pot. For the non-stick sauce pan, consider one that comes with a ss double boiler insert. Great for making custard bases for ice cream! Carbon steel woks from restaurant supply stores are a great buy. They clean easily with a handful of kosher salt scrubbed with crumpled aluminum foil.
  • A couple of years ago, we invested in FALK copper cookware.  It was a chunk of change but they will last forever... and the technology is pretty awesome.  

I think it all depends on how much you cook.  I use my pans pretty much everyday.  I like that I'll never have to buy pots & pans again.  And neither will our kids! :) 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • A couple of years ago, we invested in FALK copper cookware.  It was a chunk of change but they will last forever... and the technology is pretty awesome.  

I think it all depends on how much you cook.  I use my pans pretty much everyday.  I like that I'll never have to buy pots & pans again.  And neither will our kids! :) 
    I have a set of Falk as well and it is awesome. Only problem is it isn't induction rated and I use the induction top a lot.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i dont like pans with the core right on the bottom only, food seems to burn in that inside edge. like my lecrueset but its only better than some less expensive enamelled pots if used on the simmer plate, most dont have a big castiron simmer plate on their stoves so they will never really notice the difference cook wise. my favorite pot is a thick alumminum one with a wooden handle passed down from my great grandmother, the thick aluminum pot heats things quicker than anything else. most of my cooking is done in the wok or in regular cast iron, teflon pans serve one purpose, omelets, try slipping an omelet out of a 12 inch castiron lodge with one hand. 
    :))
    i do have a collection of teflon pans that people tend to give me, i use them for camping on an open fire and toss them after the week is over
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2012

Checked out the All-Clad, couldn't stand the handles.

I decided to purchase items on the fly individually. 

Chef bud recommended Viking cookware.  7 ply construction from top to bottom, made in Belgium. 

Picked up a 3.5qt Saucier aka chef's pan, very versatile, worth every penny of $200

http://www.vikingkitchenware.com/cookware

Next, many old cast iron skilets, DOs, which you are starting to collect.

A Lodge #12 DO with legs, is a classic.

Any cheap non-stick pan, they get tossed when worn, no need to go crazy here.

Then, replaced saucepans with old Le Creuset, a very small fraction of what the new ones cost. 

A good size stock pot is nice to have.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

Favorite pan is an old Wagner 10 inch chef's skillet.  Sides are more rounded if you pan flip.  Pretty hard to find a 10 inch, 8s are a little more common.

Here is also a pic of the old Le Creuset I forgot to add above.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    nolaegghead,  I hear what you are saying.  I like everything prepared ahead of time and just waiting for me to grab a bowl.  I have enough metal bowls to fill a cabinet.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• I have a few Griswold cast iron skillets.  They are (IMHO) the best non-stick pans I've used.  I also have a 2 carbon steel pans, which are awesome for searing.  I have a large 14" stainless pan for risotto and large dishes, and a bunch of SS pots.  I have an oval Le Creuset dutch oven which I would be lost without.  My wife and I got our first set of pots/pans in the late '80's.  They were calphalons main competitor (Magnalite) and had a 100 year warranty.  I warrantied a few pieces thru the 90's as the anodizing wore and then they went out of business.  I still have a 2 quart pot that is specifically used for popping corn.  It will probably outlast me.  The other pieces have been discarded.  Magnalite is still around with new ownership and they do no honor the warranty on the previous products. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That sucks about Magnalite.  We have a whole set of them.  They're pretty indestructible so far - we've had them about 20 years, and they get used a lot (we cook a lot).
    The all clad is nice. If you don't have to have a set check TJ Maxx...might have to stop several times. Mine stocks on Tuesday. They carry some nice stuff just usually separate.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN