Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Central Market Mesquite Lump Charcoal

cazzycazzy Posts: 7,971
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I was out of WGC and needed some lump in a hurry. I went to HEB and picked up some of the CM lump. Very big peices and seemed to burn well. $13 for a 20 # bag too.

Very impressed. I think one of our Texas members said the same. I think it was Travis.

Just letting ya know in case you ever need some emergency lump.
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
·

Comments

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,822
    It's almost the only kind I use. It's cheap, it's good, it works, and I don't have to make a special trip.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

Im sold on this Lump its cheap and burns well. To be honest I like it better than Royal Oak. The new one I have been getting it the 365 stuff at Whole Foods. It lights very fast and burns great.

Whole Foods 1 mile south from my house and Central Market 1 Mile east, so I get torn between the two sometimes.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    edited October 2012
    TUTTLE871 said:

Whole Foods 1 mile south from my house and Central Market 1 Mile east, so I get torn between the two sometimes.

Both are horribly overpriced.  I seldom go to either.  My favs are:

HEB
    Ranch 99 (Asian)
    Costco (especially for meat)
    J&J Fish Market (for shrimp)
    Trader Joe's (for wine)
    Various ethnic stores (Indian, Italian, Mexican, Japanese, etc.)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·

I do go to Sams for meat (Its Close).

And Jimmys (Local Italian Joint).

No Trader Joes yet and it will be a zoo when it opens so I think I will stay away. Im spoiled on my wine (A Friend of mine owns a Wine shop).

I need to research some more on some ethnic stores.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • EllisEllis Posts: 193

I buy a mesquite from Abertson Groc. store here in So. Cal. the brand is Sonora about $ 5.00 for a15 lb. bag

·
  • cazzy said:
    I was out of WGC and needed some lump in a hurry. I went to HEB and picked up some of the CM lump. Very big peices and seemed to burn well. $13 for a 20 # bag too. Very impressed. I think one of our Texas members said the same. I think it was Travis. Just letting ya know in case you ever need some emergency lump.

It's good. Used it for years before I found Best of The West at Sams. That was great for a few years but it really got dicey the last few times I tried to buy it. Caz- HEB also sells Central market mesquite charcoal so you can get it anywhere here in centex. I would use it again without hesitation but I'm on an Ozark Oak Kick right now

·
  • DonWWDonWW Posts: 261
    TUTTLE871 said:

Im spoiled on my wine (A Friend of mine owns a Wine shop).

Costco for meat.  Nothing beats their beef tenderloin.  Jimmy's is off the charts remarkable.  You feel like you just stepped into a European (Italian) market.  Wine = Harris?
    XL BGE.  Dallas, Texas.
    ·
    Sometimes it goes on sale for $10.99 per 20lbs. It's a super deal at that price.
    ·
    DonWW said:
    TUTTLE871 said:

Im spoiled on my wine (A Friend of mine owns a Wine shop).

Costco for meat.  Nothing beats their beef tenderloin.  Jimmy's is off the charts remarkable.  You feel like you just stepped into a European (Italian) market.  Wine = Harris?
    I Love Jimmys, They got great wine tastings. A frined of mine owns Wine Therapist. Off Skillman and Live Oak.
    I need to check out Costco sometime soon.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • Dan4BBQDan4BBQ Posts: 260

Mesquite Lump Charcoal

Does this wood give mesquite taste?
    Do you still add wood for smoke?
    Thanks
    ·
    No and yes. I can't tell a difference between this lump and RO.
    ·
  • Dan4BBQDan4BBQ Posts: 260
    Thanks Travis
    ·