Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Le Creuset Dutch Oven

2»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Yep, I read that before my last couple of posts.  I know VI isn't a commercial user and he probably doesn't use a claw hammer to stir his chilli....Still, they basically say if you use it at all, and it wears, it's not covered.  But that's typical of the same boilerplate warranty blurbage everyone has.  Thank you lawyers.
    Well, I tried to copy and paste their warranty info here, but the paragraph formatting with the iPad is still screwed up for me....here's the link http://cookware.lecreuset.com/cookware/care_10151_-1_20002
    Let's see if it works on my mac...

Cast Iron Warranty Information

Cast Iron Lifetime Limited Warranty – Le Creuset ® of America, Inc.

What does this warranty cover?

Le Creuset cookware is warranted to you by Le Creuset of America, Inc. to be free from defects in material and workmanship at the time of its purchase. For this Lifetime Limited Warranty to apply, you must follow the care and use instructions provided with the utensil. This warranty covers normal household use only.

What does this warranty not cover?

This warranty does not cover damage from abuse, commercial use or other non-consumer use, neglect, abnormal wear or tear, overheating, or any use not in accordance with the cookware instructions provided with the utensil. This warranty does not cover damages such as the cost of repairing or replacing other property that is damaged due to a defect in the utensil, the cost for transportation of the utensil to get warranty service, loss of time, loss of use, or other consequential or incidental damages.

Who is covered by this warranty?

This Lifetime Limited Warranty covers the original retail consumer purchaser of the utensil, or a consumer who receives the utensil new and unused as a gift from the original retail purchaser. Coverage terminates if a covered consumer sells or otherwise transfers the utensil (this warranty is provided only to consumers, and all express and implied warranties to non-consumers are disclaimed).

How long does this warranty last?

This Lifetime Limited Warranty begins on the date of purchase and lasts as long as a covered consumer owns the utensil.

Nola,

That's what I thought. I was soooo hoping

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• This one goes on the egg or the oven.  Use it for baking bread, taters or veggies.  

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
    Had this one over a year.  It was a second at the outlet store and bought is strictly for the egg.  The big one, over 15 years old, used for pinto beans.  It is discolored on the inside, but not worn
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • I would get the big LC Dutch oven, but use it indoors. Get Lodge Dutch ovens for the egg. We have a few LC Dutch ovens and they are hard to beat indoors but I would not want to grease/soot one up on the egg. That's what a Lodge is for..
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Talk about a beast? I told my husband that my ex got our LC in the divorce and mentioned it was the largest in the line. He went out and bought me a 13.5 quart pot; I thought the 7.5 WAS the largest. He was so proud that I couldn't bring myself to exchange it. I've used it only a couple of times; I keep it on a stool in the kitchen filled with miscellaneous BBQ items. LC suggests using it for ice and beverages during a party, and I see that in the near future. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Hotrodden
    Hotrodden Posts: 16
    edited October 2012
    Village idiot, I live close to Le Creuset North America headquarters and I'm there working two to three times a week on a regular basis. Sometimes more and sometimes less. If you want to try and have it replaced under warranty but afraid it's not and will be scraped maybe I can work something out with you. As I know a lot of people there I may have a lot easier time getting it replaced for you. If you are interested and going to Atlanta egg fest I can meet you there and ship replacement to you. Or if you want to ship it to me that's fine. All I ask is you cover the cost of shipping both ways and if they can not warranty it I will send old one back to you. Feel free to contact me if you would like.
    VI - do you consider that defective or abnormal wear and tear?  If not, more importantly if LC does not, it is not covered in their warranty.  Worth a shot, I suppose.  Looks totally functional to me unless I was using it to heat up nitric acid (which dissolves iron but not ceramic).  Bravo that you're getting your money's worth.
    Nola,

That is a difficult question.  If, indeed, that Le Creuset guarantees their ceramic covering for lifetime, I would certainly ask for a replacement.  However, if not, I would be perfectly happy to continue using it.  I think it is a bit harder to clean now, but not to the extent that I want to throw it out.

I will say that if they decide to replace it, I will be a far better salesman for their products than if they decline.

Lets keep the beer cold and the eggs burning!
  • I have the 2.5 qt Doufeu, 5.25 qt round, 6.5 qt oval and a 7.5 qt Bouillabasse pot. I use the Doufeu for small meals and reheating meat(I can add ice to the lid and the dimples allow for self-basting so I don't have to add any liquid to BBQ for reheating). The round is what I use the most for cooking stews, soups or casseroles. I also roast meats such as Beef Bourguignon and Poulet en coccotte. I do long roasts in the oval as well as larger cuts of meat due to the increases surface area for browning. I use the Bouillabasse for large amounts of sauces(marinara) and soups and stews for larger crowds, since the rounded bottom lends itself to better stirring. 

In terms of comparable ones(price point), you have Staub which is also made in france. If you are interested in the traditional aspect of these pots, this may be a point of concern for you.

There are also many brands that sell enameled cast iron made in China, such as Lodge or Kitchen Aid. I have seen a Costco-branded one that is made in either China or Thailand. "Insert celebrity-chef's name here" branded ones are also made in China. All in all, they should complete the same function. I could only see the Staub or Le Creuset being heirloom-quality, if that concerns you.

Getting a Lodge CI DO works too. It will be easier to "keep clean" on the egg and has it's own advantages and limitations. There is some argument about using acidic foods in them but this shouldn't be an issue if your pan is well seasoned and you don't use it for storage. Also, if size is a factor, Le Creuset beats the Lodge by at least 5 qts for their largest size. I doubt this is an issue, unless you are feeding double-digit family frequently. Plus, they get incredibly heavy so having 2 to match the volume would be better and more versatile, in my opinion.

Le Creuset are nice to look at(they cook really well too), but for strict egg use I would go with the Lodge for ease of clean-up.

Just to let you know. Some of Le Creuset is also made in China and Thailand. William Sonoma will not accept those in there stores. Most of it is made in France but not all of it. It has the Le Creuset name on it where ever they make it.
    Lets keep the beer cold and the eggs burning!
  • GREG
    GREG Posts: 22
    I have a kitchen full of LC but opt for the Lodge for grill and outdoor cooking. It's much more forgiving in the clean up if for no other reason.
  • Hotrodden said:
    Village idiot, I live close to Le Creuset North America headquarters and I'm there working two to three times a week on a regular basis. Sometimes more and sometimes less. If you want to try and have it replaced under warranty but afraid it's not and will be scraped maybe I can work something out with you. 
    Hey, thanks Hotrodden !!!  I pretty much decided just to keep it as is.  It still simmers a mean batch of gumbo, and is just unsightly.  It's not worth the trouble (yours and mine) to get it replaced.  I do appreciate your offer, though.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    I've had one pot replaced by Le Creuset, no questions asked!  I'm thinking the enamel,  or the application, was defective in that particular pot as I haven't had an issue in my other pieces.   

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure