Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Back from Austin

Options
ShortRIb
ShortRIb Posts: 88
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
What a trip and what a city!!!

Sure, I could spend time here and gloat about WVU winning in Texas in front of the largest crowd to ever witness a college football game there, but that is not necessary.  I would rather tell everyone about the incredible experience we had in Austin.  First and foremost, I need to send a special thanks to Cen-Tex Smoker.  I reverted to the, well written, ideas that were posted about where to go eat throughout the trip.  THANK YOU!!!

Here is what I discovered:  J. Muellers BBQ is fantastic.  The guy cooks everything onsite right out in the open.  Very cool.  The line was a little long, but J.Mueller came by as soon as you were in line and handed you a cold Lone Star.  WOW...great customer service.  Plus, the brisket and sausage were the best we had in Austin. (they sold out of beef ribs)

A close second was a place called Stiles Switch BBQ.  It was a little outside the city, but spot on.  Beef ribs were ridiculous.  Brisket was very moist. But what made it even cooler was that it is located where a few scenes from "Dazed and Confused" was filmed.  

Franklin's:  Don't bother going unless you have 4 hours to kill by waiting in line.  It better be the best in the world for that type of dedication.  I wasn't willing to find out since we were only there for a few days.  

We ate at El Sol y La Luna for breakfast and it was good.  Mostly convenient to where we were staying, but good.

6th Street:  Like Bourbon Street but clean and well policed.  Very enjoyable.

All in all, my experience was fantastic.  The people were all very nice and helpful.  Can't wait to get back!  

Thanks to all that offered advice,
Nate

Comments

• mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    Options
    Wow...that long for Franklin's?   I've been dying to try that place out ever since I saw him on BBW PM's as a judge.  If I ever to get to Austin...I'll make sure to clear my afternoon :)
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    I lived in Austin for nearly 10 years.  Great Q, great music, 6th street.  That about sums it up.  Oh, and Eeyore's Birthday party....
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    mb99zz said:
    Wow...that long for Franklin's?   I've been dying to try that place out ever since I saw him on BBW PM's as a judge.  If I ever to get to Austin...I'll make sure to clear my afternoon :)

Better clear your morning. If you show up at Franklins any time after noon and you'll likely be greeted by a sold out sign.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cowdogs said:
    mb99zz said:
    if you get there after 10am, don't bother. they open at 11 and you'll eat by 12. out of food by noon or 1
    Better clear your morning. If you show up at Franklins any time after noon and you'll likely be greeted by a sold out sign.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Next trip if you are over 23 hit South Congress (I left 6th St long ago).....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.