Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Asian spices

Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just took my Asian spices out of the pantry to rearrange them.  Holey moley !  No wonder my wife says there's no room in the pantry.  And, this doesn't even include the stuff I have in the fridge.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Holy Moley!! I think it maybe time for an intervention. :))

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    i think you have more selection than the store down the street from me
    :))

do you actually use all that or just have a half dozen go to items
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Looks familiar. Next time you're in an Asian grocery, pick up some Red Boat No. 40 fish sauce. Expensive but well worth it. 

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia

• do you actually use all that or just have a half dozen go to items
    Each of those spices are needed in at least one of my recipes.  However, after getting them all out, I saw that I did have some duplicates, and some I don't need anymore because I make my own, such as sweet and sour sauce, gyoza dipping sauce, etc.  ;;)

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Wow,

All that and no Uncle Chen's?

• Village Idiot
    edited October 2012

Wow,

All that and no Uncle Chen's?

Nah, I go for quality products.  See below:

Spices Recalled Due to Salmonella Threat

Associated Press: Union International Food Co. is expanding a spice recall to include all Lian How brand and Uncle Chen brand sauces, oil and oil blends in various size packages because the products may be contaminated with salmonella, an organism that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections, especially in young children, the elderly and those with weakened immune systems. The company had previously recalled Lian How brand and Uncle Chen brand dry spices.

Speaking of recalled Asian ingredients, I went to H.E.B. the other day to buy mung bean sprouts for Sukiyaki, but I didn't find them.  I asked the produce manager, and she said there was a recall on them 6 months ago and they still aren't safe to eat.  I said "How can that be?  It only takes 2 weeks for them to grow?"  That seemed to irritate her.  I went to Krogers and bought them.  The produce manager said there hadn't been a recall on them.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Wow! When was that? I was talking about the extra hot sriracha.
  • Wow! When was that? I was talking about the extra hot sriracha.
    In 2009.  However, read my edited post above about the deadly mung bean sprouts. Uncle Chen's may still be bad.   :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    That's not so bad. I've filled my kitchen cabinets, and now have stuff in book shelves and end tables. Took me close to half an hour the other day to find one ingredient.

My problem is that there are now 3 places in town that sell a huge range of condiments, spices, oils, vinegars, etc. One is filled w. European goodies (most at a ridiculous price,) another has stuff from all over S.E. Asia, the Caribbean, and even some African, another is Indian, which will have 1 - 2 - 4 pound bags of spices for just a couple of bucks a pound.
  • I have a load of Indian spices. My spice cupboard smells like a gurkha's armpit
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Reminds me of my "spice" cupboard, until we had the good fortune to meet some extraordinary asian families from Taiwan, China, Malaysia and Japan. We have learned to keep things simple and rely on very few basic ingredients to make our own sauces and blends. Still, when in my local T&T or other asian food store, can't help wondering how that bottle of mystery sauce would work..... 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Village Idiot
    edited October 2012
    Reminds me of my "spice" cupboard, until we had the good fortune to meet some extraordinary asian families from Taiwan, China, Malaysia and Japan. We have learned to keep things simple and rely on very few basic ingredients to make our own sauces and blends. Still, when in my local T&T or other asian food store, can't help wondering how that bottle of mystery sauce would work..... 
    Sure, I could get by with a lot fewer spices.  I could use Sake and get rid of the Chinese Rice Wine, use one soy sauce instead of lite soy, dark soy, low sodium soy.  Also minimize the chili oils and pastes.  But, I find that many of them give off a different taste and some only a slightly different taste.  We're not poor, so I choose to buy each variant of the spice or sauce.

That's probably true with the other spices too.  You might just get by with one Dizzy Pig or one John Henry.  Also, just keep the rum and get rid of the bourbon, tequila, vodka, etc.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    one good thing about alot of the asian ingrediants is that they dont go bad, well fish sauce already went bad but fortunatly it only goes bad once
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Village Idiot said:

That's probably true with the other spices too.  You might just get by with one Dizzy Pig or one John Henry.  Also, just keep the rum and get rid of the bourbon, tequila, vodka, etc.
    I could help you with that. Also, if you have any of those pesky craft beers laying around, I'm sure I have a way to dispose of them also.