Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For Sunday Brunch - Bananas Foster cake baked in a CI skillet

Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

This is supposed to be for Brunch tomorrow morning, but it smells so good it may not make it through the night in one piece. Pretty much followed a recipe from Southern Living magazine.

• 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened and divided
  • 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons rum
  • ripe bananas
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • large eggs
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose baking mix
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

• 1. Preheat oven/Egg to 350°. Bake pecans in a single layer 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring once.
  • 2. Melt 1/4 cup butter in a lightly greased 10-inch cast-iron skillet or 9-inch round cake pan (with sides that are at least 2 inches high) over low heat. Remove from heat; stir in brown sugar and rum. I actually used a 12 inch CI skillet, which worked out much better than my last overflowing cake in a 10 incher.
  • 3. Cut bananas diagonally into 1/4-inch-thick slices; arrange in concentric circles over brown sugar mixture. Sprinkle pecans over bananas.
  • 4. Beat granulated sugar and remaining 1/4 cup butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Add milk and next 2 ingredients; beat just until blended. Beat in baking mix and cinnamon until blended. (Batter will be slightly lumpy.) Pour batter over mixture in skillet. 
  • 5. Bake at 350, indirect, platesetter legs up with grate on legs  for 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in skillet on a wire rack 10 minutes. Run a knife around edge to loosen. Invert onto a serving plate, spooning any topping in skillet over cake.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Looks great.  We were getting tired of pineapple upside down. Thanks for a change.
  • Tjcoley
    I will caution you, this one is best served fresh.  After about 24 hours, those bananas get a little slimy.  It was great in the morning on Sunday (after being baked Saturday evening), but by breakfast Monday it was showing it's age.
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Bananas Foster was invented at Brennan's in New Orleans.  Our port was the major import point for bananas.  At Brennan's, it's made on a rolling cart right in front of you.
    I've eaten the Bananas Foster at Brennan's - excellent dessert.
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Tjcoley said:
    I've eaten the Bananas Foster at Brennan's - excellent dessert.
    I've had their Bananas Foster at the Palace Cafe - it's excellent.  Brennan's has a new place that just opened up, where drinks are featured as predominately as the food, and a menu that eggers would appreciate.  http://www.sobounola.com/lunch-and-dinner-menu
    @nolaegghead Had Bananas Foster one time in my life.  It was in the mid 90's at Court of Two Sisters.
  • Tjcoley
    Loved Court of Two Sisters. Remember all the salamanders falling off the overhang onto the table. I thought it was cool, my wife was kind of freaked out.
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Awesome @Tjcoley!! Was that in the latest Southern Living? My wife gets it, occasionally I'll look through it, but haven't glanced at the new one.

I've had the bananas foster at Brennan's. Tasty stuff. 

=)) @Richard Fl that is too funny. Got something else we can try? I've got a decent chocolate pecan bourbon pie, but always looking for new ideas. Desserts are still a pretty new thing for me as the wife won't eat sweets.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Tjcoley
    Not sure what issue it was.  Stumbled upon it online,