Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is the self adhesive Nomex gasket a good way to go?

Rafael
Rafael Posts: 6
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
My felt one has finally bit the dust.
Hi-que sells a self-adhesive nomex gasket. I dont want to use a spray adhesive.
What's the consensus here?

Comments

• EggerinLA
    EggerinLA Posts: 186
    I got the High Que one and love it. Have done plenty of 600 degree plus cooks for the last 6 months and it has upheld really well. Very impressed with it and easy to install.
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    I swapped out my gasket for the nomex self-adhesive a few months ago, and it's worked out great.  I cook at least 3 times per week, and the gasket has held up with no issues.  It was very easy to install as well.
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Call up HQ and see if they'll give you a warranty replacement.  It will be Nomex.
    I called HQ, since I've had my egg over a year, they will not give me a replacement.
  • EggerinLA
    EggerinLA Posts: 186
    Rafael said:
    I called HQ, since I've had my egg over a year, they will not give me a replacement.

Plus you specifically asked for the High Que self adhesive one which BGE doesn't have. BGE has the Nomex, but you have to use that 3M stuff which is messy. Warranty or not, it is not worth it IMO. Just easier to buy and install the self adhesive one.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    If you replace the gasket do you simply scrape the old off....I'm assuming no chemicals?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

henapple said:
    If you replace the gasket do you simply scrape the old off....I'm assuming no chemicals?
    You want every trace of the old adhesive removed.  If you can do that mechanically, then no chemicals but I think it's pretty impossible.  I wiped it down with acetone lastly.  My replacement gasket is solid.  Acetone is ok to use.  I'd avoid mineral spirits. Ethanol or isopropyl would probably work too.  You want to remove the old adhesive and all the oil from cooking so you don't have your new gasket lift.
    Thanks everybody.
    I ordered one and the fire grate too. I'm tired of the stock grate.
  • Replaced my gasket with the nomex gasket before I ever assembled the egg.  What adhesive I couldn't scrap with a razor blade I rubbed off with my thumb.

I've spun the thermo a few times doing clean burns.  Gasket is holding strong.  Only down side is is shows the soot.  Mine isn't white anymore.

While you're ordering from hi-que, pick yourself up a fire grate as well.