Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

HELP Please: Brisket/Pastrami

Aaron_TorontoAaron_Toronto Posts: 10
edited October 2012 in Beef
My temp of the meet got up to 171 then dropped to162, however the egg is steady at 250. Is this normal
·

Comments

• Same thing happened to me when I did pastrami a couple of weeks ago.  The temp swung up and down a few times before it was finished.
    St. Mary's, GA
    ·
  • SouthGaSmoker, was it still tasty and good

·
  • yes, it turned out fine.
    St. Mary's, GA
    ·
  • totally normal by the way. Most large cuts like brisket and butts hit a stall where the temp flatlines or even goes down a bit. This is due to evaporative cooling when the meat loses some of the internal liquids during this stage of the cook.

·
  • BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,022
    What temp are you guys taking pastrami to? I've been taking mine to 165* because it shreds at 190+ which makes slicing thin impossible.

What do you guys like it finished at?
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,197
    I've gone to brisket temps, but I've also smoked to 155 (really just adding smoke) or so and then steamed before serving.

·
  • LoggerLogger Posts: 236
    Pastrami:
    Take a corned beef brisket and soak for 3 days (changing the water twice a day)  Don't use the spice that comes with it.  I use a salt free rub from... Lantana of Texas.
    I score mine with a knife in the direction of the grain before I apply the rub.  That way I know how to slice "cross the grain".  I then wrap in saran wrap overnight before cooking.
    I then cook to 195° - 200° internal & pull and then let cool, then wrap in saran wrap and put into the fridge overnight.
    Slicing is a cinch then.
    Everybody in my hood thinks this pastrami is the bomb....yeah I know, some of you probably won't.  Guess what........
    OKC area  XL - Medium
    ·