Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LED Caution- Wah bang

LongboardR
LongboardR Posts: 101
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

Last night did up a filet for the wif and a fat boy rib eye for myself. A few posts back I commented on my new LED light. Which I still like very much. During the cook I opened up the BGE like the pic attached.  

So, while I had my back turned the lid came slamming down and flames shot out of the vent. I literally jumped across the deck. Anyway, just a word of caution for folks...the light changes the balance of the lid and it teeters very easily. Anyway, the steak came out great. Just power cooked them with Cowlick and a little home brew marinade basting while on the grill. Also did up some aspargus and tomatoes, mozerella and basil.

imageimage

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Very nice cook
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    I think we all know there is plenty of room for improvement with BGE lids and the way they operate.

If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I made this flashlight holder for less than $10 with plumbing and electrical parts from home depot.  The led flashlight was about $20, approx. 1" round and 4" long.  Cut the pipe strap (plumbing) to the desired length. It bends over the egg handle.  Use the conduit pipe clamp (electrical) to hold the flashlight.  Need an extra screw and nylon lock nut to connect the strap and holder.   Plenty of extra parts to make more holders.   

To use, bend the strap so the light hangs from the egg handle.  How short or long is up to you. To direct the light, simply twist or bend the metal pipe wrap. Complete assembly with flashlight shown weighs less than 1/3 pound.  It's easy on and off, if you want to use the light on something else during the cook.  

It ain't purdy, but works for me.......

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    you'd be surprised, just having off the DFMT is enough to throw off the weight balance of a lid...at least on my large!