Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sukiyaki and a Japanese language lesson

Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
In Japanese, "yaki" means "stir fry", so if you are looking for a stir fry recipe, look for "yaki", as in Yakitori, Teriyaki, Sukiyaki, negimayaki, etc.  My wife and I were introduced to sukiyaki in a small ryokan in Kyoto, Japan in the early '70s.  The innkeeper dressed up in her best kimono to serve us.  I remember that as a magical time.  In those days, the Japanese would stare at you on the street, because they were not used to seeing Westerners.  Perhaps, we were the first they had ever seen.

Anyway, it is funny how an aroma or taste can bring your mind back to an event in the past, even the distant past.

Here is my sukiyaki cook today.

First, the raws.  Pasquali will love all of the veggies in this dish.

Stir frying.  It's really an easy stir fry.

Plated.  Our living room coffee table is low to the ground, reminiscent of eating in Japan.

Sukiyaki.

In case anyone would want to try it, here is my recipe.  I got the original off the internet somewhere, but I've tweaked it enough to claim it for myself.

Sukiyaki
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:

3/4 pound Rib-eye steaks, Sliced paper thin
1/2 large Carrot 
3.5 ounces Harusame noodles
1.5 small Onions, white
1/2 can Shiitaki mushrooms
1 cup Mung bean sprouts
4 Onions, green
1/3 Cabbage Napa, Chinese cabbage
1/2 can Bamboo shoots
-----Sauce --------
1/4 cup Mirin wine
1/3 cup Soy Sauce
1/4 cup Sake
2 tablespoons Sugar
1/4 cup Beef stock
Vegetable oil

Directions:

1. Cut onions into 6 wedges, and separate. Cut green onions on bias.  Use about 1/2 of onion, starting at white end Cut carrot into slivers and on bias - matchstick size Make some slices of Chinese cabbage

2. Parboil noodles 2-5 minutes, until tender.  Do not overcook because they will melt.  Cut into 2" lengths.

3. Preheat Egg to about 450° with Spider.

4. Combine all sauce ingredients and stir until sugar dissolved.

5. Put wok on Spider and put small amount of oil in it.  Get oil hot

6. Put in all veggies except noodles and bean sprouts, and cook until tender. Add some sauce while cooking. Put in noodles and bean sprouts and cook about 1 minute Add some sauce while cooking. Put in meat and cook until tender. Add some sauce while cooking.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Very nice VI-sensei!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    As always a great meal and presentation!
    I Remember  when I was in SE Asia '67-''71 spent a few trips to Tokyo and the food was excellent.  Those days we would point to the plastic food in front of the restaurant and it would appear in a hot edible form.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    At-sa, some-a good-a lookin's cookin'.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Your new middle name is "show off".

BTW, I drove to Florida and back this weekend. There is a road in Belton, TX called "G Wilson" road. You know anything about that?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2012
    Your new middle name is "show off". BTW, I drove to Florida and back this weekend. There is a road in Belton, TX called "G Wilson" road. You know anything about that?
    Yeah, they named it after me right after I won the Nobel Prize for my research in Medical Quantum Physics.  I rarely mention it because I don't like to show off.    

They misspelled my name, though.  I have two "L"s in my last name.  I had my executive assistant write them a letter.  It will be corrected soon.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    It's getin deep in here !!!
    Your new middle name is "show off". BTW, I drove to Florida and back this weekend. There is a road in Belton, TX called "G Wilson" road. You know anything about that?
    Yeah, they named it after me right after I won the Nobel Prize for my research in Medical Quantum Physics.  I rarely mention it because I don't like to show off.    

They misspelled my name, though.  I have two "L"s in my last name.  I had my executive assistant write them a letter.  It will be corrected soon.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.