Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Camp Bread

Options
Dave in Florida
Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1253483&catid=1#

http://simplysogood.blogspot.ca/2010/03/crusty-bread.html

Did some Camp Bread yesterday.  It was OK but today I made a few changes and it was really good!

Changed from Gold Medal Bread flour to King Arthur Bread flour, added 1 more cup of flour. Added a little more yeast and got a new pack instead of what has been sitting in the cabinet. Cooked in the same DO as yesterday but at 400 dome not 450 as yesterday.

Crunchy crust but not as hard as the last one. Much taller loaf. This bread is really good!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited October 2012
    Options
    That looks absolutely delicious!   Great job (for a gator fan) ;)  Seriously, might try that.  I've been making no-knead bread for years, it's really good but heavy.
    Dave,

That looks fantastic !  But, I have to ask.  Most of the upscale grocery stores (Whole Foods, Central Market, the better HEBs) have a bakery where you can buy inexpensive artisan breads.  Do you find that making breads on the Egg is much better than they sell?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Daveh1976
    Options
    Dave,

That looks fantastic !  But, I have to ask.  Most of the upscale grocery stores (Whole Foods, Central Market, the better HEBs) have a bakery where you can buy inexpensive artisan breads.  Do you find that making breads on the Egg is much better than they sell?
    This camp bread has become a staple in our menu. (I don't use a dutchoven though, just throw it on the baking stone) It's too easy to make.  The artisan breads at the stores are nice but pricey.  A jar of yeast, bag of flour and salt are very inexpensive.  I also think the smokey flavor added to the bread is something that can not be found in a store bought bread.
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    Dave,

I'm not a big bread eater, I saw this on the Big Green Egger forum and had not done any baking on my egg, except pizza.  My wife has made some fine bread in the oven and I just wanted to do something different on my egg.  I never thought the bread would be this friggin good.  Wife tried it and reply was OMG this is so good, I don't have to bake bread in the oven anymore if the BGE can do it this good.  I'll take that as a successful cook.

Plus, a lot of people talked about mixing it in bags and taking it camping and cooking it.  Sounds pretty simple and a way to have great bread while camping.

• Newbbqer
    Options
    Anybody have a recipe for this bread?
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    Newbbqer said:
    Click on the two links at the start of the first post.

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Dave,

Oh yes VI bread bakes on the egg is much tastier and a lot cheaper than paying 3.99 for a loaf of artisan bread.  
    Dave now that you have basic the camp bread down, experiment with herbs and dried mixes.  And fresh yeast does make a difference. (if you buy the jar store in the frig)  Your loaf looks bueno! 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm going to chime in on this.  We tend to assign a subjective value on our food based on what how much it costs.  Would lobster taste so extravagant if it costs as much as chicken?  Ummm...it would still be damn good, but the answer is "probably not". 

Here's why bread making is awesome.  Prerequisite: liking bread.  Case in point: Flour is cheap, so is boston butt.  Why so much pulled pork but not so much baked bread cooked on the egg?  I'd argue fresh baked bread is way better than old bread, but freshly pulled pork is not much better than reheated left over pulled pork.   In a blind taste test, you can easily tell between fresh artisan bread and re-heated artisan bread. Not so much with pulled pork (source - me eating all of the above many times).

So if you like fresh bread, bake it, because it's really hard to buy.   
    Options
    I've been meaning to try camp bread for awhile. Might jsut give it a go this weekend. How big (diameter) does the loaf turn out? We're going out of town this weekend and meeting some people who have a mini egg. Could you cook it on that? or maybe make two smaller loafs?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SigP
    SigP Posts: 25
    Options
    Just a bookmark. Looks great. I gotta try it...
  • Daveh1976
    Options
    Newbbqer said:
    Click on the two links at the start of the first post.

3 cups bread file

1-3/4 teaspoons salt

1/2 teaspoon water

1-1/2 cups of water