Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Chili on the Egg

MayberryMayberry Posts: 466
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
My wife got me a cast iron Dutch oven for our anniversary last week. So, I'm about to throw chili on the egg for the first time. I'm using a modified version of Egrett's cow lickin recipe. Plate setter in feet up, spacers to sit the DO on the plate setter, and meat is it he DO. This may be a stupid question, but do I cook with the lid on the Dutch oven, or with the lid off and just the top of the Egg closed? Or, does it matter? If I can leave the lid off at 350 and get a little smoke flavor in the chili, that sounds really good. What do you think?
Athens, GA
·

Comments

• I leave the lid off, toss some chips on the lump and go direct.  Check from time to time (or beer to beer) and toss on more chips as I wish.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,320
    You don't need a lid inside the egg. You don't lose much liquid.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • @Bob do you do it raised grill or not ? 
    ·
  • ccpoulin1ccpoulin1 Posts: 389
    I did a batch today.  Used brisket leftover from last weekend, and it came out great!  Had to tone down the heat for wifey and the daughter....  We should have it tomorrow, as i did smoked meatloaf as well!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

·
  • Anyone have good recipe for BGE chili? Haven't found one I really like yet.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,259
    The secret for good chili down here in Louisiana can be summed up in two words - "road kill" ;)

I've had some gumbos with some extremely disturbing animal parts in it out in the swamp.  Tasted delicious though.  Sorry, I digress....

·
  • miscjames said:
    @Bob do you do it raised grill or not ? 
    Nope.  Stock grid, stock altitude which I rarely do.  The CI of the Dutch oven and the liquid in the chili disapates the "hot spots".  Worst that can happen is if the liquid does lower more than you like you may have to dump in the rest of the beer you're drinking.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
    ·
  • egretegret Posts: 4,033
    Mayberry said:
    My wife got me a cast iron Dutch oven for our anniversary last week. So, I'm about to throw chili on the egg for the first time. I'm using a modified version of Egrett's cow lickin recipe. Plate setter in feet up, spacers to sit the DO on the plate setter, and meat is it he DO. This may be a stupid question, but do I cook with the lid on the Dutch oven, or with the lid off and just the top of the Egg closed? Or, does it matter? If I can leave the lid off at 350 and get a little smoke flavor in the chili, that sounds really good. What do you think?
    Don't worry about the liquid drying up. It'll be fine. I like to do mine around 325.......
    Here's how I do mine : http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/257511/x/p1
    ·
    And what the hell do you know about chili?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    Muah?  I know enough not to add no steeenkin' beans and to chop up the meat instead of grind it.  :)

·
  • Muah?  I know enough not to add no steeenkin' beans and to chop up the meat instead of grind it.  :)
    Very good, Nola !  Sounds like you've spent time on this side of The Crawfish Curtain (the Sabine River).

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • egretegret Posts: 4,033
    And what the hell do you know about chili?
    Steve, how could you slay your best good buddy like this??!! :((
    ·
    I honestly preferred Sundown's but you are so much nicer. Kidding bud. I can never thank you enough for the time you and Joan spent with Paula

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • You'll find a pulled pork chili recipe @ mountainegg.com

·
    Muah?  I know enough not to add no steeenkin' beans and to chop up the meat instead of grind it.  :)
    Very good, Nola !  Sounds like you've spent time on this side of The Crawfish Curtain (the Sabine River).
    They used to call me "esse" when I live in San Antonio for 10 years (at least when I lived in the down town area).  Also lived in San Marcos and College Station. 

·