Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT's and the bene's of your own jalapeno plants-give it a shot

lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,168
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I love ABT's and the near-endless combinations of flavor. This spring I planted a major-league garden of two jalapeno plants (I live in the land of Kentucky jelly for climate info).  After the plant-no effort/max yield and I am NO gardener.   If you enjoy ABT's the likely short ingredient is the pepper.  You should give the plant a go next spring. FWIW-
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• lousubcap said:
    I love ABT's and the near-endless combinations of flavor. This spring I planted a major-league garden of two jalapeno plants (I live in the land of Kentucky jelly for climate info).  After the plant-no effort/max yield and I am NO gardener.   If you enjoy ABT's the likely short ingredient is the pepper.  You should give the plant a go next spring. FWIW-
    keep growing them in the same spot and the will get hotter and hotter every season. They actually season the soil. If you plant tomatoes next to an established jalapeño plant, you will have spicy tomatoes.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    Thanks for the steer-I thought moving them was the right answer-but will definetly have a "do-over"!  Go "bourbon".  No team affiliates here!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2012
    lousubcap said:
      Go "bourbon".  No team affiliates here!
    I'll take my rum over your bourbon and spot you 7 gulps.

Growing jalapeños and serranos are funny.  You either have too many or it's a total crop failure.  I haven't figured it out yet.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• lousubcap
    @ Village Idiot-Game on- you get your points and my hang-over... I appreciate your inputs as I have heard the same about the randomness of the crop out-put.  But when "it hits" there are enough peppers for breakfast and everything else this time of year.  And such a great reminder the next AM :)>-
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I plant one jalapeno plant each season.  I get a lot of peppers from one plant.  A couple years ago I had one plant that was a dud.  Lots of fruit, but zero heat.  This year's plant was milder than expected (tried a new variety that sounded like it was a hotter variety).

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.