Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thai Lemon Shrimp and Spicy Thai Chicken Soup (not egged)

Options
Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I think I remember that it's OK with most people to post a non-egged meal now and then if it is good.
I could have done it on the Egg, but both called for simmering, and the stove is very good at that.

I consider this very good and both the soup and shrimp are easy to make.

Link to the Thai Lemon Shrimp is: click here

Link to the Spicy Chicken Thai Soup is: click here

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• frankc623
    frankc623 Posts: 168
    Options
    that looks awesome!
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I love thai food, have it once or twice a week!   :)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks delicious VI.  We ate at SukhoThai last night...2.5 hours of dishes and drinks - it was incredible.
    Nola,

To make Thai food, you need Kaffir Lime leaves and lemongrass.  I couldn't find Kaffir leaves at the Asian store, so I bought a small tree ($18) from a Vietnamese nursery in town.  I already had a lemongrass bush, given to me by Richard FL last year.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Great one Gary!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Great looking plates.  FYI the Kaffir leaves freeze very well so do the lemon grass stalks for that matter.. Keep on Wokking and Wolling!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    VI - we had a giant lemon grass plant, great idea on the kaffir lime tree.  We're fortunate to have one of the largest asian groceries in the country a few miles away from us.  Used to be an old Wal-mart.  
    edited October 2012
    Options
    There is an old Wally World in Orlando that is a  great Oriental grocery store   also. Wally moves to the Orient and they move in here???
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    There is an old Wally World in Orlando that is a  great Oriental grocery store   also. Wally moves to the Orient and they move in here???
    The Asian Superstore on Colonial Drive.  Yes indeed.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    How did I know that this was Gary? Way to go, my friend.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Richard Fl said: There is an old Wally World in Orlando that is a  great Oriental grocery store   also. Wally moves to the Orient and they move in here???
    WIN!!

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    The Asian Superstore on Colonial Drive.  Yes indeed.
    Sounds like the one you are talking about is near Changs on Colonial East of I-4.  That is good but the one I like is in Pinehills west 50 about 5 miles from I-4 and the is an old Kmart on the North side that is a Caribbean store.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    That looks fabulous! I couldn't get the video to load but saw a reference to "Chef John". Was it John from Food Wishes? He's an awesome guy with great recipes, no fail stuff. I'll have to try this.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited October 2012
    Options

That looks fabulous! I couldn't get the video to load but saw a reference to "Chef John". Was it John from Food Wishes? He's an awesome guy with great recipes, no fail stuff. I'll have to try this.
    Yes, it was Chef John for the soup recipe.  I just recently stumbled on foodwishes.com .  Great site.  My wife has had this soup at a Thai restaurant, and she said this recipe is better.  You can vary the spiciness by tweaking the amount of red curry paste you put in.  I put in one teaspoon, and my wife said it was perfect.  I could have used some more.

Since you couldn't load the video, here is the recipe that I copied from looking at the video.

Thai Spicy Chicken Soup
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Internet

Summary: 

Traditionally, this soup is served with a side dish of sliced jalapeños, cilantro leaves, and lime wedges

Ingredients:

1 quart  Chicken stock
    2 1/2 pounds Chicken
    12 oz. Mushrooms , white
    1 Red Onion
    3 tablespoon Fish Sauce
    1/2 bunch Cilantro
    2 Limes
    1 14.5 oz. can Coconut Milk
    1 14.5 oz. can Light Coconut Milk
    2 teaspoons Red curry paste, or less
    4 cloves Garlic
    4 inch Ginger, piece
    3 stalks Lemongrass
    1 tablespoon Vegetable oil

Directions:

1. Put chicken stock in pan and simmer

2. Cut garlic, ginger, and lemongrass into pieces and add to stock.  No need to peel because they will be strained out later.

3. Simmer for 30 minutes

4. While stock is simmering, chop chicken and mushrooms into pieces

5. Gently sauté chicken for 5 minutes (doesn't need to be cooked completely)

6. Add mushrooms and sauté another 5 minutes

7. Add red curry paste, fish stock, and lime juice to the chicken and mushrooms and stir in.

8. Strain the chicken stock into the chicken.

9. Add the 2 cans of coconut milk

10. Simmer for 20 minutes

11. Add sliced onion and simmer for 5 minutes

12. Turn off heat and add chopped cilantro.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Gary, I really enjoy looking at your cooks. Also, it's great that you always have the recipes available for others wanting to try it...and I have. Thanks.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • scaryangel
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes. I can't wait to try them.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited October 2012
    Options

Village Idiot Hi Gary;

Thanks for the help.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.