Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Saturday's Steak Fajitas

NibbleMeThis
NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have a fajita recipe that is my absolute favorite and have made time and time again but tonight we tried out Dizzy Pig's somewhat new Fajita-ish rub on a skirt steak. 

First we made homemade tortillas, a first for us.  I see why you guys take the time to make these, they are very good and not as difficult as I thought.

Set up my Egg for direct heat at 500f.  Rubbed the steaks down with a little lime juice and then seasoned one with Dizzy Pig and the other with Badia brand fajita seasoning.   I tossed some sliced bell peppers and onion with lime juice, oil, and fajita seasoning.  I grilled the steaks 4 minutes per side and cooked the veggies at the same time.

Veggies finished at about 6 minutes.  I you like them charred they would finish at the same time as the steaks.

With skirt steaks, the grain runs side to side instead of lengthwise.  So to cut against the grain for tenderness, cut into 3-4 inch pieces lengthwise, turn each piece a quarter turn and slice.  (I know most everyone knows that but recently saw someone slice it lengthwise...CHEWY!)

Served them with Mexican rice and refried beans.  Not too shabby at all. 

Not being a Dizzy Pig homer but all 5 of us liked the steak seasoned with Fajita-ish better than the Badia one, but they were both good.

Now I have to get ready to cook some sriracha wings for the FSU/NC State game.  Hope you all are having a great weekend!
Knoxville, TN
Nibble Me This

Comments