Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Love my Pizza Oven!!!!!!

Comments

• JalopyBob
    JalopyBob Posts: 175
    Looks great, but where is the sausage on those pizzas?
  • Bumm39
    Bumm39 Posts: 60
    FYI, to all New comers to forum, don't bake pizzas with Place setter legs down. You will blow gaskets out like I did. Legs up with rack and pizza stone on top at about 550 works great. 
  • Bumm39 said:
    FYI, to all New comers to forum, don't bake pizzas with Place setter legs down. You will blow gaskets out like I did. Legs up with rack and pizza stone on top at about 550 works great. 

Thanks for the advice. I have been doing it the other way.
  • Bumm39
    Bumm39 Posts: 60
    My latest pies I have used hot italian sausage and thin sliced hot Sopressata. 
  • I agree with the comment on the setup, but I still feel like my pies turn out a little better with legs down. I'm on my 3rd gasket in a year. The nomex worked great for the second gasket, but the adhesive failed.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Great looking pies. Sam oughtta be here in a minute telling you that an egg isn't a pizza oven :((

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Great looking pies. Sam oughtta be here in a minute telling you that an egg isn't a pizza oven :((

Not to mention that none of us know what we're talking about.

:)
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I certainly don't ;)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ha
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    They look great, we did bbq chicken tonight. I did legs down tonight just to clean that side of the P S, I put a Rutland gasket about 6 mo. ago and still going strong. Wish I could post pics I just can't figure it out.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Bumm39 said:
    For me, this is not the case. I use the setter legs down with a 12.5" stone in my MBGE. No issue with the gasket vs legs up. I've tried both ways on a number of cooks. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you have a well-installed Nomex or Rutland gasket, it will handle it.  I've cooked pizzas legs down and indeed did fry my felt gasket.  But no problems with the Nomex with legs down. I don't do it that way anymore because I have some extra grates to stack bricks on - to get the stone higher up in the dome.

BGE issued a memo that the legs down may cause premature gasket failure, and it will at super high temperatures and with the felt gasket.  I think legs up, legs down, doesn't really matter as much as you're cooking indirect and where in the dome is your pizza is.  Higher in the dome the faster the toppings will cook relative to the dough.
    Bumm39 said:
    Respectfully disagree.  Have done all of my pizza with legs down.  Dome temp has hit 900+ on egg warm up before.  Routinely cook at 550 - 650.  Either a new high temp gasket or one that is properly broken in will be able to handle this with no problem. 
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • My problem is not the failure of the nomex. It's the failure of the adhesive. My next nomex will be installed with permatex.
    Mark Annville, PA