Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Start with a heat gun

crmwell
crmwell Posts: 19
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I first started using the starter blocks when I first got my Egg and then switched to an electric starter that you place in the charcoal.  And although this works good, it still took about 7 minutes before I would take out the starter and close the lid.  So I had been considering a Looftlighter.  Then I read that this is just a glorified heat gun and that set the wheels to spinning.  I have a high temp heat gun that I had never thought about using.  So I just went out and tried the heat gun and to my surprise it worked.  And I had been thinking about an Eggcelerater to bring it up to temp quicker.  Well after I got it started, I then used the heat gun to blow air into the bottom vent. This seems to be the answer and a lot cheaper alternative.  This was only a test as I was not planning on cooking at this time so I will try this method again when I'm ready to do some grilling.  I thought I would just throw this out to see what everybody thinks about this method.  Any comments?

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I have been using a heat gun for a couple years and they work great. Make sure you don't sit it there and walk away though because you will melt your gun. I had a friend melt his and have also seen it posted here before. I can have my mini to 700 degrees in 5 minutes and the Wagner heat gun is only $22 at home depot.
  • awesome!!!  It's always great when you can find multiple uses for something you already have - sort of makes me feel even more justified for having spent the $$ on it in the first place!!  

FWIW, I use this:  Bernzomatic_Quickfire

And have been completely satisfied w/ it.  And the "dual" use is that it's really supposed to be used for soldering, brazing, etc.  

Actually, a couple weeks ago my GF & I were out at a food event, and 1 of the vendors was selling creme brule and he had a little torch thingy that he was using to caramelize the sugar w/ before he handed it to you & she was intrigued by it & was talking about getting one.  I suggested to her that she could use the Quickfire, rather than going out & buying a new one.  She seemed hesitant at first (the industrial looking Quickfire didn't look as "cute" as the one made to be used in the kitchen that the guy had), but I assured her that his torch, although it might "look" fancier & cuter, was either using butane or propane as a fuel & the Quickfire would work just fine!!

So props to finding another use for your heat gun - I'd be interested in one so that I could use the accelerator (I'm assuming it's just heated air)??  It's another function of the heat gun, correct, and not a different accessory?  BTW, what do you use your heat gun for in "real life?" hehe
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The heat gun works great - my $15 harbor freight gun works even better than my $80 Dewalt digital heat gun.  I use it if I'm in a hurry, but usually I just use a propane torch.  

I use heat guns to remove caulk and paint, and install heat-shrink tubing, and de-soldering.
    I use my Wagner to shape styrofoam for stage props. I'll have to try it...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple said:
    I use my Wagner to shape styrofoam for stage props. I'll have to try it...
    Stage props?  Now I'm curious!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I used mine in college to thaw my air conditioners coils when it froze
  • Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    I have the looftlighter and absolutely LOVE it. Never used another heat gun but can highly recommend. It is a bit expensive so I certainly can understand looking at other options.
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • I just bought a heat gun today for $22 because I forgot my torch at home and Home Depot near my Mom's house doesn't sell a weed burner for under $50.  It worked real well.  I'll have to play with it more to see which I like better, the heat gun or the torch. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • I've done it, but I like the starter cubes. I do want to try the oiled paper towel and coffee can trick someone posted a few weeks ago.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Used it today...out of cubes. Worked well and fairly quick. Fred, I build stage props for my daughters competition dance team...in between cooking of course.
  • I bet making those props makes a special connection with your daughter.
    Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    She is so proud. I make props for all the different ages. It's great to see their excitement when they see them. Just made a cave and rocks for a group of 10 year olds...turned out pretty good. Styrofoam and drivet. Made a working carousel last year.
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    I make firestarters out of egg cartons, dryer lint and candle wax :) 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Sookie said:
    I make firestarters out of egg cartons, dryer lint and candle wax :) 
    Make sure you weren't drying anything with synthetic fibers like polyester....
    +1 on Looftlighter.  The buy in is pricey ($80).  But it works like a charm.  And, echo to watch the heat and where you hold the unit.  Once the fire gets going, pull back and let the wind do the work.  I melted the end of mine on the 2nd or 3rd use.  Still works, but lesson learned. 
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.