Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Propane vs. MAPP vs. Looftlighter

Options
snakyjake
snakyjake Posts: 3
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Can there be harm done to the egg if using propane/MAPP to light?

How does the Looftlighter compare to propane/MAPP?

Thanks,
Jake

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    No, you won't harm it.  They don't make MAPP gas anymore.  There are replacements for MAPP gas, some of them are called MAP gas.  

Never used the Looftlighter, but I've used heatguns, MAPP gas and propane.  They all work fine, light within a minute or two.  

I'd buy the harbor freight heat gun for $15, or a cheap propane torch.  

I use a weed burner or a high output propane torch if you will.  Works like a charm.  Sometimes it gets a little sparky, but I consider that part of the fun.  Others use starter blocks, the heat gun (a looftlighter is a glorified heat gun) or paper towel soaked in cooking oil.  Any of these will work and not hurt your Egg. 

The only method that will damage or possibly ruin your egg by contaminating the porous ceramics is by using lighter fluid or even Matchlight briquettes.  Brrrr!  A cold shiver went up my spine!     

Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nooooooooooes! Not lighter fluid!!!
    Options
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.