Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pimping the egg

Options
jimreed777
jimreed777 Posts: 324
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Adjustable Rig R & B Oval Combo
16 inch stone
Oval foil ring

and...

drummmmmmm rollllllllll please

CyberQ Wifi

on the way.

Was not even looking for a CyberQ wifi. Was trolling amazon for a cast iron grate. Saw this posted: CyberQ Wifi 

Only 1 available for $299. New. Had a $100 gift card in my amazon account. Hesitated for a few minutes because I was eyeing a PartyQ as my stoker purchase. Then I figured I would really regret not jumping on it for 25% off.

Here is my still virgin egg in the freshly varnished table just waiting to be broken in:

I used the BGE recommendation for the hole for the large in my table...enough room??

Comments

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Options
    Looks great...did you build yourself?
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Don't you just love that new egg smell, kinda like a new car....

The good news is that your egg will start to smell better as it becomes the source of all the wonderful tasting stuff you create with it. 

Nice table, now go dump some lump and spill some sauce on it!

Regarding the space, I'd use a bit more (I used 3/4"), but I think you are fine... 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Ahh so pretty when they are new! Looks like you ordered some nice stuff.  =D> Any plans for the first cook? 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • jimreed777
    Options
    Solson005 said:
    Ahh so pretty when they are new! Looks like you ordered some nice stuff.  =D> Any plans for the first cook? 
    My beloved medium egg was very good to me and pumped out awesome grub. It has a new home at my neighbors house. My first cook will be an overnight butt at 205. I will be able to hold between 200 and 205 with the cyber Q and still get a solid UNINTERRUPTED nights sleep. I can't freaking WAIT to not hear the Maverick alarm sounding every few hours or waking up to a 190 degree fire that needs to be stirred and shaken and relit.

About noon the afternoon of the virgin cook, I am gonna throw in some ribs on the rack above the butt. Everything will be pulled and served between 6 and 7.

Can't...Freaking...wait!!!

After that low-slow - and the gasket getting broken in, I will be firing up a pizza cook a couple days later. yummy.

I typically cook 3-4 nights a week on my egg, so a couple weeks of no egging is gonna be brutal.
  • jimreed777
    Options
    r270ba said:
    Looks great...did you build yourself?
    I helped - but my father-in-law is a carpenter by trade...

he did an AWESOME job with the cypress top and cedar everywhere else.
  • jimreed777
    Options
    Don't you just love that new egg smell, kinda like a new car....

The good news is that your egg will start to smell better as it becomes the source of all the wonderful tasting stuff you create with it. 

Nice table, now go dump some lump and spill some sauce on it!

Regarding the space, I'd use a bit more (I used 3/4"), but I think you are fine... 
    I have another 1 7/8 paver that matches the one it is on, but I don't know how much space that would buy me. I also don't want it sitting quite that high.

I know I would butcher the table if I tried to expand the hole.

put 5 coats of this on the table: Rust Bullet Clear Shot

it is a CRAZY hard finish that is uv resistant and rated for 314 degrees continuous and up to 662 degrees for 72 hours. I have a thick coat everywhere including underneath.

I think that I would have gone with a slightly bigger hole...but I think given the specs on this coating, I am more than safe from the table catching.

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

Sounds like you are more of a "shopper" than a cook.

Go cook something!

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Nice set up. I left 1" on my diameter but sits about the same height. I can feel your excitement...I'm stoked every time I use mine, especially trying something new.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That is a great setup.  Congrats on all the upgrades.  Sounds like you already have plenty of experience with the egg with your medium.  Now you get to cook even more food on cruise control.

You said your first cook is an overnight butt...you got a large now...do 3 or 4 :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.