Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mobile Pizza Party with the SBGE

Solson005
Solson005 Posts: 1,911
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
One of the many reasons I got a small to add to our Egg collection was to have a traveling egg. We took it camping this past weekend and had so much fun. Many of my friends have been asking about it with all of the pictures I have been posting so I decided to take it to a friends house and have a pizza party. I went over the day before and got all of the ingredients ready and made the dough. This time around I used one of Emeril's recipes @Skiddymarker suggested: http://low-cholesterol.food.com/recipe/emeril-lagasses-perfect-pizza-dough-84545 I used 00 for all 3 cups but would probably swap out 1 cup for Semolina next time, since 00 doesn't brown as much when doing pizzas around 450° which is where I like to cook them when doing multiple pies. 

After the dough was made I covered it and waited around a hour, punched it down and tossed it in a oiled ziplock bag to rest in the fridge overnight. 

The next day I went over a couple hours early and took the dough out of the fridge cut it into portions and let it rest on some parchment paper on the counter. I got out all the ingredients and made some hamburger. I was at target the other day and was nicely surprised to find a couple cans of Pastorelli Pizza Sauce so I decided to give them a try and was really pleased!

Then it was time to fire up the Small BGE, I use a Small Woo with fire bricks (the ones I cut to raise the grid on my large) and the stone on top of that. 

Then it was time to get the assembly line going and make the pizzas. 

As I have said before I have a Super Peel and love it! Especially when doing multiple pizzas, you can make one and don't have to worry about it sticking to anything. Just grab the Super Peel, slide it on and start making another pizza on the pastry mat (this is new and a perfect way to make sure not to make the pizza too big for my 12" Pizza Stone, it does make you want to practice your dough stretching to get it in a perfect circle. More pizza parties are needed for me to practice) 

Onto the SBGE!

5 minutes then a quick spin to get a even crust

6 minutes later we had a perfect pizza (although because of the 00 it does not look done, but trust me it had a nice crunch to the crust) the lid was just closed when I took this picture, I was cooking around 425°.

I had forgotten I had bought this when I was working up on the North Slope of Alaska years ago but it is perfect for Pizza Parties. It is called a Alaskan ULU, I'll keep the plastic one for the kids that want to help cut their pizza as it is quite sharp. 

I think the first of many mobile pizza parties was a success! I got to share a great meal, got others involved in the cooking and had a fun night showing what the big green egg can do! 
Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 

Comments

• Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    Nice thanks for the pictures. I would recommend a higher temp like 475-525 though. 

Quebec - Canada
  • Solson005
    @Bjorg this was my first time making pizza on the small, I make them all the time on the large and for multiple pizzas I stay right at or under 500° to make sure there is enough lump to cook all of them. The first pizza party we did, the last pie barely got done and I don't want a repeat of that. The firebox is so much smaller on this one I just didn't want to have the last pizza not being able to get done. When I am just going to do one or two pizzas I'll crank it up and go much higher. As with anything on the egg it gets better each time. Thanks for the feedback. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    How do you like the Super Peel?  I just got mine but haven't had a chance to use it.
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Solson005
    @r270ba I love it, it makes doing multiple pizzas so much easier. No cornmeal / flour mess and your not on a countdown timer to get the dough to the egg before it becomes too sticky. The key is to hold onto the fabric and push the peel under the dough, if you pull the slider on the fabric sometimes the pizza will be hanging off the edge of the Super Peel. But its not a big deal just put it back down and try again. It will make more sense after you try to use it. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Looks good, I found the Pastorelli the go to sauce, it is hard to find. 

Never cooked on a small, so this an opinion not based in fact, try lowering the pie in the dome. Cooking on a large with a 15" stone, the pie on a stone on bricks above the felt line, like your set up works very well. I found on my medium, I had to lower the stone to only an inch or less above the felt line using a 13" stone. I think it may have something to do with the air flow around the stone. I wonder if you had too little air circulation around the pie. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Solson005
    @Skiddymarker I use a small woo and it has handles so a pizza stone will not sit flush on the grate so other than shaving a tiny bit off the brick that is the lowest it will go. I would go that route if I had a platesetter. The pizza was done perfectly just the 00 flour makes it appear that it still needed to be cooked. I'll use my goto pizza dough recipe, do the same method and post a picture to explain its the 00 dough not browning, not for lack of heat/ airflow. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @Solson005, I understand what you mean about the flour and finished color, I realize the pie was cooked to perfection. What I was trying to say, and did not do it very well was that the stone needs to be at least 1/2" inside the Woo handles to ensure adequate air flow around it. As you raise it into the dome and the dome slopes in, the air space becomes very small. Maybe not an issue at all. 
    We have been thinking about buying a small, so keep building and sharing your experience. Thanks!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Solson005
    @Skiddymarker I understand what you are saying now. I'll try it with my 10" stone and just use the stainless drip pan to deflect the heat. I might buy a plate setter to use the 12" stone as big green egg intended.. I'll keep posting and looking for ways to make the food even better! Thanks!
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    00 flour is for higher heat baking. If you're gonna use low temps, you should just use bread flour.
  • Solson005
    @Mighty_Quinn as I said this was a recipe I was trying that someone on this forum gave me and if I use it again I will use semolina mixed in. My normal recipe comes out fine and it gets cooked on a 450- 500 baking stone temp not dome temp. I've used King Arthur's bread flour and like 00 better. If I'm doing one or two pizzas I'll crank it up but last night I made 6 pizzas and did not want to run out of lump. That's the great thing about this forum you use a little bit of everyone's method to make the best meal for you and your guests. If the food tastes great it doesn't matter how you got it to the table..