Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Plate Setter, Legs up or down, and WHY ?

jbstackjbstack Posts: 5
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
OK, newbie here, well compared to most of you guys and gals.  A few months and love it as expected.

My question, the plate setter is it intended to be uses Legs up, or Legs down?  Or does it matter?  I have read entries about blowing out gaskets if used legs down. But seems like only in higher temps, correct?  So what is the answer, or is it simply personnel preference?  Or is there a tried and true, down for this, and up for that.

Thanks so much,

Charlie Stackole

Comments

• GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,472

I go legs up for low and slow. Allows you to put a drip pan underneath your brisket/butt/turkey etc.

I go legs down for higher temps like pizza or when I'm going to bake something (cakes, cookies, pies, bread)

Of coarse, I blew my gasket along time ago. Eventually you will too no matter what you do.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• tyenic1tyenic1 Posts: 147
    As a general rule of thumb anything your smoking low and slow you go legs up. Anything your baking legs down and as far as very high temp cooks like pizza you will probably get a 50/50 response, I still go legs down with pizza and my gasket is still going strong. This is strictly my opinion and sure you will get some more responses. Hope it helps.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 11,550
    There's no right or wrong way. 

True, at high temps it deflects heat toward the gasket when legs down.  That can accelerate the demise of your gasket.

The plate setter does two primary things - gives you a shadow (or shield) from the direct heat (infrared radiation) coming from the burning coals, basically allowing you to bake or roast. 

Second, it give you a raised structure that moves the food higher up in to the dome.  Many people, myself included, stack grates, bricks, drip pans, baking stones, salt blocks, roasting racks, etc, on the plate setter to configure our cooking setup.

• tgklemantgkleman Posts: 194
    Legs Up for a low and slow for all the above reasons + a place to put the drip pan.
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 5,888
    tyenic1 said:
    As a general rule of thumb anything your smoking low and slow you go legs up. Anything your baking legs down and as far as very high temp cooks like pizza you will probably get a 50/50 response, I still go legs down with pizza and my gasket is still going strong. This is strictly my opinion and sure you will get some more responses. Hope it helps.
    +1, could not have said it better. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • MO_EgginMO_Eggin Posts: 124
    Legs up all the time.  Reduces that lovely gasket burning smell. 
    LBGE, St. Louis, MO
  • MO_Eggin said:
    Legs up all the time.  Reduces that lovely gasket burning smell. 
    +1

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

• I've switched to legs up for pizza cooks. After the 3rd gasket in a year, I thought I'd make a change. No noticeable difference.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,222
    There was a post very much related not long ago where it was commented about "legs up and women".  No arguments here :)>-
    Louisville