Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Foreign Steak?

Options
Eller
Eller Posts: 56
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
My wife bought Del Monico steaks and I'm not sure how to best cook them on the egg. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I like to cook them, delmonicos or ribeyes, same to me, on the Himalayan salt block but most folks do not have one, so I get the BGE, usually small or medium,  depending on how many steaks  up to 500F direct, about a minute per inch of thickness and then turn them. 
    From here some take the meat off and shut the BGE down to 375-400F or so and add the meat back.  I just shut the BGE down and continue to cook keeping an eye on the internal temp with my thermape.  Usually pull around 130F depending on who wants what.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1005200&catid=1
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Delmonico can be a number of things, depending on where you are, rib eye, or NY strip? 
    We need to ask @Meatshop101, the retired butcher - he can tell you what you have. I think the cook is the same for either one. 
    Seems to me it has do with some restaurant that made the cut they used famous. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    The Delmonico was invented in the US.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Here's the history of the Delmonico steak:

Almost as interesting a read as a thread on whether or not to use parchment paper.
    Options
    In my experience, Skiddymarker, you're absolutely right that cooking method is essentially the same for the two cuts...they do of course both derive from the beef rib.  It's probably worth mentioning though that they come from opposite ends of the piece, and the Delmonico (or rib end) cut tends to have more fat pockets, so depending on the particular cut, this could affect affect your cook time, etc., due to the possibility of more shrinkage with the extra fat.  The opposite end is where you get the more classic rib eye, and the inner part is usually much leaner than the Delmonico and has a single eye muscle.

As far as the origin, I would imagine the article Tjcoley linked probably mentions that..if memory serves, it was an Italian guy by that name who had a restaurant in NY and gave the rib end cut the Delmonico moniker.

I hope you guys won't mind if I link to a a page at my site that goes into a little more detail on rib cuts.  Hard to resist!

Take Care all!
    E Turner