Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How many butts can you fit on a Large?

War_Eagle_2244War_Eagle_2244 Posts: 85
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm hoping for 6.  Is that possible?
·

Comments

• I would think 4 could work, six would be pushing it
    ·
  • EggerinLAEggerinLA Posts: 186
    With adj rig, I did 6 without touching each other last weekend. I had room for 2-3 more.
    ·
  • How is the adjustable rig different from the BGE 3 tier rack?  That's what I will have to use.  I will use the base rack and 1 above it.  Hoping to get 3 on each level.
    ·
  • This is what I'm hoping to fit 6 on...image

·
  • EggerinLAEggerinLA Posts: 186
    You can fit 6 on that. No problem.
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,907
    edited October 2012
    Here is two 8 pound butts on my large to give you a sort of scale. I think three on each level would work just fine. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • I hope so. Thanks for the input!!!
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    I've done 3 ten pounders on one level. If you can get 3 more on top you are good to go
  • xraypat23xraypat23 Posts: 421
    depends. bone in, bone out? I've got the adjustable rig and i've fit 5 on, but it was a squeeze. With boneless 5-6lb'ers you might get 6. But i like bone in 8lb'ers. 4 is my norm. it sucks because the dome thermo almost always is dug into one when i pack it out.
    ·
  • MemphisBBQMemphisBBQ Posts: 92
    edited October 2012
    I have done 8 5 pounders, bone in, without a rig. I just stacked them so they had room to breathe. Turned out just as good as any other butt I have done. Only difference was the dome thermometer turned into a meat thermometer. Maverick kept me on track.
    ·