Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Owner

Options
NoVA Egger
NoVA Egger Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Greetings all, I'm expecting the arrival of my first BGE tomorrow. I ordered the large with the nest and side wings. How long does assembly take? Is it complicated? Any tricks? Thanks, I love this forum and have learned quite a bit just by reading various threads.

Comments

• Lambo
    Lambo Posts: 1
    Options
    NoVA Egger,[p]I'm a new Egger also. I can tell you this, my very un-handy boyfriend put it together fairly quick. I was nervous that there were no instructions in the Cookbook/Manual but soon realized it was on the video. I don't have the boyfriend anymore - I got my Egg!!

• Luvmyegg
    Luvmyegg Posts: 86
    Options
    NoVA Egger,[p]Congratulations! You will love it. I don't expect assembly will be a problem for you. I just change the bands on my 7 year old egg and I am totally non-handy, so I am sure you can handle any assembly necessary on the newer models. I am in Chevy Chase and there are lots of us in the DC area.[p]Barbar
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    NoVA Egger,
    If you need to assemble it layout all the pieces first. In the box the band comes in there should be another box with the hinge, inside that box is the instruction sheet. Read the entire sheet before putting the egg together. Pay attention to the part about NOT removing the white piece of plastic until the egg is fully put together.[p]Good luck and welcome to Egg-land,
    New Bob

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    NoVA Egger,
    where are you in no. va. . ..i'm in north arlington, and we have lots of local eggers around. ...need any help, just give me a shout on my email[p]max@mitre.org

• NoVA Egger
    Options
    Thanks Mad Max and everyone else for the input. I'm supposed to get my BGE by noon today. [p]I'm in Vienna Max and am happy to see all the fellow DC area egg owners. Perhaps we can all gather in the parking lot at RFK for a great tail gate party before a Nats game.

• The Virginian
    Options
    NoVA Egger,
    Welcome to the club! I am Max' neighbor and bbq competition team mate. Chris Cappell is just down the road from you on the other side of fairfax city. A Nats game cook sounds perfect. How far in advance do they allow you in the parking lots over at RFK? [p]Brett

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    The Virginian,
    I am there.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • The Virginian
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    That's right, you mentioned a cook at RFK just last week as a worthy social goal. I think we need to do this!

• Luvmyegg
    Luvmyegg Posts: 86
    Options
    The Virginian,[p]Hubby goes to lots of Nats games so we are there! Not sure how I can get the Large Egg there, but am planning to get a mini soon.[p]Barbara
  • Unknown
    Options
    Greetings, happy to report that set-up went very smoothly although I found the nest a little tricky. Of course, as soon as I was ready to light the fire for my firt cook, the rain started to come down in buckets. Undeterred, I still cooked steaks although I was unable to get the temperature above 500 so I could not really sear. [p]I think the temperature problem was too little fuel and the rain. Any other thoughts?[p]The RFK lots open two hours before the game on weekends. We should shoot for a Sept. weekend.

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    John, if you had enough lump, the only thing you didn't have would be air. leave the dome open longer to get the fire going good. Close the dome, bottom vent wide open, and no daisey wheel. should be up to temp in no time.[p]you can use a small fan or hair drier to force a little air through the bottom vent to help it out. Do NOT blow with you mouth. a rare 'eggfart' may occur and blast you in the face.[p]Scott