Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meal suggestions for family with new baby

JwgreDeux
JwgreDeux Posts: 139
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
A very good friend of mine just had a baby, and my wife and I will be taking their family a meal in the next day or two.  As a fairly new egger, I have been telling my friends how much I enjoy the egg and they have requested something from Scotty (yes my egg has a name) for this occasion.  The reason I'm asking for suggestions is I am at work most of the day, and won't have time to do a low and slow type of cook for them during the work week. Do any of you more experienced cookers have any suggestions for a meal that can be done in less than 3 hours (I can prep it the night before, 3 hours to preheat egg and cook)?

Right now, I'm looking at pizza, spatchcock, (both of which I have done before) or maybe turbo ribs (never tried).

Comments

• Pizza & spatchcock are good, I wouldn't try turbo ribs (or anything that you've never done before yourself) - you just don't know how it's gonna turn out, and you wouldn't wanna risk having it be fit for the dumpster. 

Steak(s) are another option - quick, simple, and ooooh so very good. 

Salmon (I do mine on cedar planks)

Wings

Meatloaf

Stuffed mushrooms, ABTs, Moink Balls, etc as an appetizer... I guess it just depends on what type of food they like, how much $$ you're willing to spend, and how "fancy" or "simple" you want the food to be?? 

The possibilities are endless!! :P
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • +1 on the cedar plank salmon.  A small turkey breast can be smoked in less than 3 hours.  You got me thinking about the name.  If it has a name, can we claim it as a dependant on our tax returns??  The deductions could be endless!! >:)

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Similac formula 350° indirect 20min per oz. Let cool down. Test on wrist. Sleep well.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/thechicken.htm

This recipe travels well because it includes foiling/steeping "the chicken".  Only warning is it can turn out a little spicy.  Might want to give it a test run if you decide to try it. 

If you don't try it for this occasion...you have to try it sometime ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Turbo baby back ribs.  350 indirect, drip pan with apple juice, your favorite wood, I like peach wood.  Remove the membrane, add your favorite rub and put them back in the fridge covered. one hour bone side down, then one hour bone side up.  Bend test for done-ness, if they don't bend easily or you want fall off the bone tender cook them a little longer.  Watch for the draw back on the bone, sauce, serve and eat.

You can always start the new baby out right learning to love BBQ and let it suck on a rib bone.
    :))
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Spatchcock is a great idea. That's what I like to take to people how have just arrived home with a newborn. Gives them something to eat on for a few days if its just the two of them. Or do a spatch and then shred it up and add it to a casserole and cook that on the Egg.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    And while you are at it, make sure to cook a chicken for yourself. Why waste the space and the lump? ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Griffin said:
    Spatchcock is a great idea. That's what I like to take to people how have just arrived home with a newborn. Gives them something to eat on for a few days if its just the two of them. Or do a spatch and then shred it up and add it to a casserole and cook that on the Egg.
    I would definitely have to agree with this.  Even though the thought is probably 'yea but I can do so much more than a spatchcock on the egg' I think you have to remember the reason you are doing it.  To help them out and give them a great meal they can eat more than once.  

There will be plenty of opportunities in the future to show of what the egg can do when you invite your friends over with their baby.  For your purpose I think spatchcock is definitely the way to go (and quite good too)!  I have a 3.5 year old and 11 month old...I would love for you guys to bring me a spatchcock chicken...wait...better yet how about come take care of my kids and I will cook YOU one    :))
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• @SWVABeanCounter from one accountant to another (I'm assuming), awesome idea! Now just to find a way to validate if audited! Beth
    Beth Hardeeville, South Carolina