Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homemade Smoked Chipotle Jalapenos

Options
Richard Fl
Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Was at a BBQ Fest last weekend and met a man called "Sauce Man".

He had a great bunch of homemade sauces and dips. He got me thinking about making some homemade BBQ sauce.

Few days later I was in a little produce stand I like and he had lots of red jalapenos, so I bought 5#'s for $.50/lb, normally $1.89/LB, but they were getting a little wrinkled. Be sure to wear plastic gloves when handling, protects body parts, if you know what I mean.

Now what to do with them? Was just going to preserve in vinegar and use in some BBQ sauce, but smoking them came to mind.
Set large BGE up indirect 250F with apple and apricot wood, added a handful of chips every hour or so:

After 2 hours:

Top layer:

Bottom layer:

After 3 hours rotated top rack to bottom:

4 hours:

imageimage

Pulled at 5 hours, nice smoke flavor and crispy. Might do the next batch at 200F and see if I can preserve some of the red color:

After they cooled I crushed them and ran thru my Krups spice grinder. 5 pounds of fresh became 4 ozs ground. Now what to make?

Cheeper than buying them crushed.
Thanks for looking.

Richard Melbooooring Fl.
"KING OF LONEY", SELF APPOINTED!!!!!

IF YOU WANT TO DRINK ALL DAY, YOU HAVE TO START IN THE MORNING!!

Comments

• scottc454
    Options
    I would shoot for 180. You want to dry the peppers as much as possible and not really cook them.
    If you want to be authentic, use pecan. 

I wish I could find ripe jalapenos. I have to grow them to get them. 

As for what to make - chipotle and honey makes for an outstanding glaze.

This recipe is good. You can use 1 tsp or so of ground chipotle instead of canned. I actually like it better with chicken breast.