Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going to Austin, TX

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Sgt93 said:
    If time permits, pick up a blemished YETI cooler from the factory.
    Where is the factory? What kind of a discount do they offer?
    I hear the blem's are almost non distinguishable from the regulars and the savings are substantial.
    What kind of substantial?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin said:

Hey @The Cen-Tex Smoker, what do you think of Juan in a Million? My wife has been going there long before it was on Man vs. Food and I seem to get drug there every time we visit.

I must be the only person who thinks Chuy's is overrated. Granted I've only eaten at the ones in Dallas, but unless there is a big difference, its not that great. Its not bad, just not great. I could go for one of their Mexican Martini's right about now though.

Chuy's is low on my list. Cool place but food is ....meh. Hula Hut too- awesome place to drink margs but food sucks (owned by chuy's)

Magnolia Cafe - where your order can be made, upon request, with "Love Butter..."

Get it with Love Butter..  Trust me...
    Amen. Awesome spot.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Another vote for Chuy's! 

I went to Salt Lick, it was awesome -- I can't wait to go to Franklin on my next trip. 

Please go to Gourdough's Food Truck and order the Flying Pig:
      Flying Pig at Gourdough's

I still dream about it.
    Great call. Awesome spot and on the trailer list I sent if you need directions.
  • Griffin said:
    Griffin said:

Hey @The Cen-Tex Smoker, what do you think of Juan in a Million? My wife has been going there long before it was on Man vs. Food and I seem to get drug there every time we visit.

I must be the only person who thinks Chuy's is overrated. Granted I've only eaten at the ones in Dallas, but unless there is a big difference, its not that great. Its not bad, just not great. I could go for one of their Mexican Martini's right about now though.

Chuy's is low on my list. Cool place but food is ....meh. Hula Hut too- awesome place to drink margs but food sucks (owned by chuy's)

Couldn't comment on the food, but Hula Hut is a cool place, espcially if you pull up by boat.
    Correct. Awesome place to hang on a Saturday afternoon. I just don't eat there very often. Margs only.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    If you want someplace just to go drink margs, Baby Acapulco's is the place. Strong margs at Baby A's!!!
  • No one has mentioned Shady Grove.  Very good burgers on Barton Springs Rd next to Chuy's.  If the weather is nice it is great to sit outside, listen to some tunes, drink beer and eat big burgers.
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    edited October 2012
    I think this place closed down but it was a great burger joint by UT's campus when I was in school there.  Someone will have to chime in (yes, not much help here), but every time you ordered they'd throw a pickle slice on the window facing the street and there was a charge for no cheese on your cheeseburger!  Thanks for indulging my trip down memory lane...
  • HDmstng said:
    I think this place closed down but it was a great burger joint by UT's campus when I was in school there.  Someone will have to chime in (yes, not much help here), but every time you ordered they'd throw a pickle slice on the window facing the street and there was a charge for no cheese on your cheeseburger!  Thanks for indulging my trip down memory lane...
    GM Steakhouse. They insulted almost every customer and charged more for hamburgers than cheeseburgers. Funny place

Long time gone but have eaten there many time
  • No one has mentioned Shady Grove.  Very good burgers on Barton Springs Rd next to Chuy's.  If the weather is nice it is great to sit outside, listen to some tunes, drink beer and eat big burgers.
    cool spot for sure
  • Mickey
    No one has mentioned Shady Grove.  Very good burgers on Barton Springs Rd next to Chuy's.  If the weather is nice it is great to sit outside, listen to some tunes, drink beer and eat big burgers.
    cool spot for sure

The chili-cheese dog is my # 1 order there.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

:((  :((

I am having an ulcer. Please stop!

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Wow, so many choices.  I am only going for 3 days.  I am so glad WVU is part of this conference.  I will be back every two years!!!  Thanks for all the help.  I definitely will report back as to my findings.  
    Go 'EERS
  • ShortRIb said:
    Wow, so many choices.  I am only going for 3 days.  I am so glad WVU is part of this conference.  I will be back every two years!!!  Thanks for all the help.  I definitely will report back as to my findings.  
    Go 'EERS
    You are going to have a great time.........hopefully not too great Sat night though. Hooook Em!!!! I can't wait. So glad you guys are part of the conference. Going to be tons of fun.

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    No one has mentioned Shady Grove.  Very good burgers on Barton Springs Rd next to Chuy's.  If the weather is nice it is great to sit outside, listen to some tunes, drink beer and eat big burgers.
    +1 on Shady Grove.  Green Chili Cheese Fries and a cold one.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    ShortRIb said:
    Wow, so many choices.  I am only going for 3 days.  I am so glad WVU is part of this conference.  I will be back every two years!!!  Thanks for all the help.  I definitely will report back as to my findings.  
    Go 'EERS

I, for one, am not. I did not enjoy that game last week at all. ;)

Sic'em Bears!!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin said:
    ShortRIb said:
    Go 'EERS

I, for one, am not. I did not enjoy that game last week at all. ;)

Sic'em Bears!!

I'm not sure if I should be scared of Baylor's offense or laugh at WVU's defense. Guess we'll get to the bottom of both of those this season....starting in 2 days
  • Griffin
    Neither team was playing much of a defense. Heck, we didn't have much of one last year, either. We just outscored everybody. We've got the week off this week. What time does UT play?

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin said:
    Neither team was playing much of a defense. Heck, we didn't have much of one last year, either. We just outscored everybody. We've got the week off this week. What time does UT play?
    6pm

• Mickey
    Griffin said:
    6pm

Did you guys notice that Baylor / Texas / Texas A&M all play at 6:00 Sat

• Mickey said:
    Griffin said:
    6pm

Did you guys notice that Baylor / Texas / Texas A&M all play at 6:00 Sat
    nope, but I'll be at one of those live with a belly full of woodford
  • Griffin
    Actually, Baylor has this weekend off, we play TCU next weekend at 6.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin said:
    Actually, Baylor has this weekend off, we play TCU next weekend at 6.
    You just got a nice little break from the wheels off QB at TCU. He got a DUI yesterday and is suspended indefinitely. This is the same QB that failed a drug test earlier this year and who's roommate was arrested for dealing weed out of their house. I don't think he will be back in time for next week :)

• Griffin
    I am happy about that. Hope he doesn't just get a slap on the wrist.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin said:
    I am happy about that. Hope he doesn't just get a slap on the wrist.
    pretty sure he is screwed. Gary Patterson said "obviously, he needs some help" which is not something a coach normally says about a player. I mean the guys just failed a pot test, was living with a pot dealer, admitted to doing coke and ecstacy and now gets a DUI a few months after completing his drug and alcohol classes.

Sounds like something I would have done when I was 21 :))

• Where do you get classes on drugs and alcohol? May need some continuing education. Degree program?
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763

Where do you get classes on drugs and alcohol? May need some continuing education. Degree program?

I will be teaching a class (alcohol only) this weekend in SC. I just need you to supply the alcohol and I will teach.

Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Where do you get classes on drugs and alcohol? May need some continuing education. Degree program?
    That would be the School of Hard Knocks... ;)

You could teach the master class.....and I would be in the front row.
  • Methinks I am a mere rookie in these here parts

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    pretty sure he is screwed. Gary Patterson said "obviously, he needs some help" which is not something a coach normally says about a player. I mean the guys just failed a pot test, was living with a pot dealer, admitted to doing coke and ecstacy and now gets a DUI a few months after completing his drug and alcohol classes.

Sounds like something I would have done when I was 21 :))
    I just laughed out loud.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.