Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going to Austin, TX

ShortRIb
ShortRIb Posts: 88
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Heading out to Austin, Tx for the WVU-texas game this weekend.  Any recommendations on where to eat?  Any good places to pick up some good rubs and sauces?  

Comments

• Eat at Franklin BBQ if you can. The lines can be well over an hour on weekends and they are closed on Mondays. J. Mueller's is really good too. it's a trailer but it's great Q (he basically taught Aaron Franklin how to do Q). Salt Lick in Driftwood is a fun pace to eat. It's 30 minutes from downtown and I use their rub and sauce all the time (used the sauce last night).

Tex Mex is always a good bet in Austin. Where are you staying? I'll find you a couple of spots that are close.

Here are a few links for you:

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Thanks for the suggestions.  I am staying at the Hilton Austin 500 East 4th Street.  I heard both of the places you mentioned were fantastic.  I don't know if I have the patience to wait an hour for Franklins.  I will have to see how I feel that day.  Salt Lick has been on my BBQ bucket list for a decade now.  I might head straight there when I arrive.  Anywhere else?  What's the best TEXMEX?
  • If you are downtown, there is lots of good tex mex- Matt's El Rancho on S. Lamar is good. There is also a hole in the wall that is my fave breakfast spot called Taco Express on S. Lamar as well. Those are under 10 minutes from Down Town . Torchy's Tacos is a great walk up place and there are several in town. They have a few brick and mortar places and a few trailers. Maudies is good and there is one on 6th street 5-6 minutes from you. If you want something upscale, La Condessa on 2nd is awesome. You need to have mexican breakfast on Saturday morning. Taco Express is a good spot for that and so is El Sol y La Luna on 6th (you can walk there)

Also, the food trailer scene here is vibrant. Don't be afraid to hit any of them. They are scattered about downtown and there are trailer parks with multiple food trailers in a few locations as well. S. Congress is a good spot for that, S. Lamar out by Matt's/Torchy's/Taco Ex too.

That should keep you busy. there are thousands of watering holes all around you so take a walk and dive in. Careful of 6th street- that is the "most popular" spot but it's all college kids puking in the street and starting fights. The cool districts for grown ups are 2nd street district and 4th street district (or Warehouse District, but we call it 4th)

Here are some links for you: 

Salt lick: http://www.saltlickbbq.com/ Salt lick is BYOB, which is awesome but there is nowhere out there to buy booze. Pack a cooler and make sure you go to the one in driftwood, not Round Rock. Buy their rub and the Original Sauce. The spicy sauce sucks. Get 2 of the original

La Condessa- http://lacondesa.com/austin awesome drinks and killer upscale tex mex

I hope you have a great time in our fair city.....and I hope TX kicks WVU's ass :)). I'll be there for sure

Let me know if you need anything else. These are all Austin original spots so you'll have a good time no matter which ones you hit.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Pappasito's. It's a Tex Mex place...small chain throughout TX....great fajitas...plato del mar...if you get a chance. If you're only there for a short time might try the local flavor, via cen-tex. Austin is great.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple said:
    Pappasito's. It's a Tex Mex place...small chain throughout TX....great fajitas...plato del mar...if you get a chance. If you're only there for a short time might try the local flavor, via cen-tex. Austin is great.
    They do have really good fajitas. I left off a ton of good places and all chain restaurants just to keep it local
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I am a Chuy's fan and Queros.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey said:
    Guerro's, right? On S. Congress?

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Damn, I miss Austin!  Although, I must submit:  "Best TexMex" is an oxymoron.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Mickey said:
    +1 for Chuy's. Its not fancy but is the best. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Another vote for Chuy's here. Sitting out on the water at Hula Hut is good too.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    If time permits, pick up a blemished YETI cooler from the factory.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Short rib 1+ to everything CT recommended. If you have the spare $$ you can get a taste of interior Mexican food at Fonda San Miguel or Las Palomas both make a mole that is truly wonderful. Migas on Sunday morning Taco Deli and just good tacos and burritos at Cabo Bobs (all their food is cooked on two BGE, except the fried fish. Everything they serve is fresh made on site Enjoy yourself Barley Swine is good too
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited October 2012
    They still call the hippies around UT "drag worms"?  I spend a lot of time in Austin when I was dating this super smart (and super crazy) UT student - lived in Kinsolving dorm.
    Sgt93 said:

Where is the factory? What kind of a discount do they offer?
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited October 2012
    Travis the address is 3411 Hildalgo Street Austin 512 394 9384
  • nm
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    They still call the hippies around UT "drag worms"?  
    Yes we do.  Hippies on "The Drag", AKA Guadalupe Street.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Hey @The Cen-Tex Smoker, what do you think of Juan in a Million? My wife has been going there long before it was on Man vs. Food and I seem to get drug there every time we visit.

I must be the only person who thinks Chuy's is overrated. Granted I've only eaten at the ones in Dallas, but unless there is a big difference, its not that great. Its not bad, just not great. I could go for one of their Mexican Martini's right about now though.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    @Griffin.....drugs at Juan in a Million? if you want to be able to keep getting them there, I wouldn't go announcing it on an internet message board :))
  • Griffin
    @Mighty_Quinn - that was too funny. How's this....I get forced into going there.

Rowlett, Texas

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I'm not a fan of Juan in a million. It's ok but not special.
  • Mickey
    Mickey said:
    Guerro's, right? On S. Congress?
    Yes, can't spell........

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin said:

Hey @The Cen-Tex Smoker, what do you think of Juan in a Million? My wife has been going there long before it was on Man vs. Food and I seem to get drug there every time we visit.

I must be the only person who thinks Chuy's is overrated. Granted I've only eaten at the ones in Dallas, but unless there is a big difference, its not that great. Its not bad, just not great. I could go for one of their Mexican Martini's right about now though.

Chuy's is low on my list. Cool place but food is ....meh. Hula Hut too- awesome place to drink margs but food sucks (owned by chuy's)

• Mickey
    Griffin said:

Jason, a year or so ago spent 3 days in San Antonio eating very good Mexican food. Still stopped in Ausitn for Chuy's on the way home. Just a fan.

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Magnolia Cafe - where your order can be made, upon request, with "Love Butter..."

Get it with Love Butter..  Trust me...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Griffin
    Griffin said:

Chuy's is low on my list. Cool place but food is ....meh. Hula Hut too- awesome place to drink margs but food sucks (owned by chuy's)

Couldn't comment on the food, but Hula Hut is a cool place, espcially if you pull up by boat.

Rowlett, Texas

• NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited October 2012
    Another vote for Chuy's! 

I went to Salt Lick, it was awesome -- I can't wait to go to Franklin on my next trip. 

Please go to Gourdough's Food Truck and order the Flying Pig:
      Flying Pig at Gourdough's

I still dream about it.
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Outside of TexMex and Q, can't beat Dirty's for a good burger.  Apologies for expanding the thread, but they be some great burgers....
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Where is the factory? What kind of a discount do they offer?
    I hear the blem's are almost non distinguishable from the regulars and the savings are substantial.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93