Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sweet and Sour Shrimp (4 pictures)

Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
It seems the wok fad of a couple of months ago has faded.  However, I had the yen for it after being in Italy for two weeks.  So, I decided to make Sweet and Sour Shrimp, using my Sweet and Sour Pork recipe.  Worked great.

I knew it was going to be a gourmet meal when I had to use a top shelf starter because my usual lighter stuff was out.

I had Pam (Mrs. W to you, Grif :-) use the deep fryer to fry the shrimp and the egg rolls. I do not do deep frying on the egg.

However, I do like stir frying, so I made the Sweet and Sour Shrimp on the wok.

Finally, at the table.  We had egg rolls that I had made a few months ago from the old Time Life series on Cooking - Chinese Cooking, and then froze.  They don't make egg rolls anymore like they used to, and this recipe is like the old days.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• Looks awesome VI! Funny you mention the wok craze fading. I was just thinking that the other day. I use the wok once a week most weeks but rarely post the cook...usually just a simple stir fry.
  • mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    That looks awesome! Perfect presentation too.
  • Nice job VI. You're making me hungry! :)
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited September 2012
    One day I'll acquire the ability to plate food like the masta!!! Strong Work VI!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Looks great

Where did you visit in Italy?

• Dan4BBQ said:
    Looks great

Where did you visit in Italy?
    Landed in Bari (east coast), rented an Alfa Romeo.  Drove to Ostuni, then Matera, then Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    That looks amazing. So, you flash fry the shrimp before you put them in the wok?
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • What's the advantage over cooking the shrimp completely in the wok?

Flint, Michigan
  • What's the advantage over cooking the shrimp completely in the wok?

That looks amazing. So, you flash fry the shrimp before you put them in the wok?

Yes.  After it's fried and drained, it's added to the veggies in the wok.

The shrimp is fried after being put in batter - just like regular fried shrimp.  I could do it on the wok, but I don't like to deep fry on the wok for safety reasons.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Looks good, Gary. I've had nothing but MRE's for the last few days. :(
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Beautiful.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Looks good, Gary. I've had nothing but MRE's for the last few days. :(
    I still have a case of MREs left over from Katrina.  Wonder what the shelf life is on the wet food.

• Looks good, Gary. I've had nothing but MRE's for the last few days. :(

I still have a case of MREs left over from Katrina.  Wonder what the shelf life is on the wet food.

The maker says about 3 years I think but I've eaten 10 year old and they were fine. The new ones are very different than the ones you have. Much better. I ate them for 4 months straight in Afghanistan. I'm not a big fan.

From you batch, chicken with noodles are the best. It comes with m&m and the main meal is good.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    Our pantry is perpetually stuffed.  I should get rid of them.  They're safe to eat I suppose, just probably taste..uh, not so fresh.  Maybe I'll drop them off at a tent city.
  • In my day, we had C Rations.  There were some that you'd starve to death before eating, and some you'd fight over.  Lots of trading going on, as I recall.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited September 2012
    In my day, we had C Rations.  There were some that you'd starve to death before eating, and some you'd fight over.  Lots of trading going on, as I recall.
    Ha, if you didn't smoke you could trade the cigarettes.  You could get anything in trade for the fudge brownie, and could not get rid of the ham and lima beans.  If you threw the little cans of "cheese" in the fire, they exploded.  Nothing like a mixed case for breakfast, and you get spaghetti.  On the other  the eggs weren't so good.  Keep your P-38 handy.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• I think I still have my P38.  Used to carry it on my keychain.  I think I recall the best C ration was weiners and pork and beans?  Time has faded my memory.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

I Fired up the wok last week. I stopped at the begining of the Summer becasue of the Texas heat. My wife noticed sweat dripping into the wol as I cooked.

I just said it was adding extra flavor.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I can remember in Boy Scouts the late 50's in Germany our Dads supplied them and they were made at the end of the War. Damn things might still be be good ( by good, not kill you).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Gary truly outstanding cook and plating. WOW. At some time please put all your platings on a xxxxxx and send a post to it. Have from both forums. Bet I am not the only person who would find them interesting.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    edited September 2012
    Thanks, Mickey.  You weren't supposed to say anything nice until next year. :D

I don't want to bore everybody with my pictures, but I think the one I like the best was my Cashew Chicken and Fried Rice.   I think it smacks of Feng Shui.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Looks great VI!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Cast iron teapot?  Does it impart any flavor.  Do you season a teapot, or does that contaminate the tea?

You sure don't bore me with you presentations, they are truly artistic.  I do set up and cook well, but don't have the pretty dishware that you have for the finish.

• Village Idiot
    edited September 2012
    Doc,

We've had the teapot for a long time, but it essentially looks like the one I found by googling.  It is cast iron, but that doesn't add any flavor to the tea, plus it keeps it hot for a longer period of time.  

We didn't season it at all.  It comes blackened and ready to use.

Click here.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• You sure don't bore me with you presentations, they are truly artistic.  I do set up and cook well, but don't have the pretty dishware that you have for the finish.
    I'm sure if you had pretty dishware, you'd do far better than I can do.   :)

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    What do ya do with that Everclear???
    Large, small, and a mini
  • nolaegghead
    I've had a bottle of Everclear in the shop fridge for a few years, for some reason unknown, it appeared there.  I use it as a solvent.  I tried drinking some, but my body must remember some teenage run-in with the stuff that I don't.  Almost puked.  Just thinking about it makes me feel like hurling.  Only remedy for that thought is some Kentucky bourbon.
    edited October 2012
    What do ya do with that Everclear???
    I am making lemoncello. We got turned on to it in Italy when a store gave us a demo and mixed it with tonic.  Very refreshing for an after dinner liqueur.

It's easy to make.
    1. Mix the lemon zest (no white pith) of 8 lemons with 750 ml of Everclear.  
    2. Let stand for 1 month in a dark place (swirl every few days)
    3. Strain out zest
    4. Add 4 cups of water and 2.5 cups sugar (diluting makes it about 90 proof)
    5. Put in freezer (it won't freeze).

We are fortunate in Texas, because the state allows 190 proof everclear.  Some states, like California, put the max around 150 proof.

Here is a picture I took just after mixing the zest and the everclear.  One week later, the everclear is clear and more yellow.

Dripping Springs, Texas.