Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good use for rib trimmings

Options
BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't know about the rest of you, but when I barbecue ribs I always trim them first. I cut off the flap from the bottom (which aids in membrane removal) and the boneless pieces on the end. I used to just throw them away, or rub them, put them on a piece of foil and put them in with the ribs for a snack.[p]I recently came up with a good idea for these trimmings - make kabobs from them. It's very simple. Put them in a ziploc bag or bowl with your favorite marinade, marinate them overnight, put them on swekers and cook them. I did some last night that I marinated in cider vinegar, hoison sauce, garlic powder onion powder, black and white pepper and brown sugar. I smoked that for about and hour nad a half at aaround 250. They turned out great! So, next time you do ribs, save those trimmings for a simple treat!

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    Great idea.
    Yum. Sounds like a great marinade. Hoisin sauce definitely plays a nice part in enhancing meats cooked on humpty! We have been doing a lot of kabobs lately. I find the small pieces of meat really soak up the flavor, and cook quickly. Piece of cake to serve and eat too.
    Thanks
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • db
    db Posts: 103
    Options
    Nature Boy, All my rib trimmings, especially chine and breastbones, go into a pot of spaghetti sauce for about two hours. Makes for excellent bone sucking. (no jokes please)