Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small BGE goes Camping

Solson005
Solson005 Posts: 1,911
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
This weekend we decided to head to Missouri for some camping, kayaking, and egging! We have stayed at the Meramec State Park before and loved it, they have a very nice campground with lots of upkeep, super clean facilities, and great friendly people working there. We just got the small egg added to the collection the week before and have had a couple of cooks on it to learn temperature controls and the little differences between it and the LBGE. The small rode in the backseat with a seatbelt keeping it safe. Here we are getting all set up. 

There was six of us camping so for dinner on Friday night we did a spatchcock chicken rubbed with Cowtown Squeal on a raised grid using the Small Woo at 375° for just under a hour. I used my new Green Thermapen to check for 180° in the thigh and 160° in the breast. 

While the chicken was resting I threw on some fresh green beans coated in olive oil, minced garlic, fresh lemon juice, salt, pepper, & some veggie rub I found in the camper. 

My relatives we so impressed with the chicken I think next time we head to Missouri there will be a big green egg on his deck. 
We decided to finish off the night with some s'mores around the campfire. 

The next day we headed out for a 7.5 mile float down the Meramec River. It was a great float with lots of bluffs and a couple caves to explore along the water. 

After a day on the water it was time to fire up the SBGE again. 

We decided to make salmon with a Brown Sugar and Mustard Glaze this is a Bobby Flay recipe from one of his first shows on the food network back in 1999. My dad has been making this for years and it has always been a hit. We used the woo for raised direct but covered the grid with foil and punched a bunch of holes in the foil. With the Egg stablized at 325° skin side down with the glaze on the top side it cooked for around 40 minutes to 145° 

We also had some corn with butter, salt, and pepper wrapped in foil on a small charcoal grill. 
The finished plate.

Save a little bit of the glaze to drizzle over top after cooking. My uncle and cousin who lived in Alaska for years said it was the best salmon they have ever had! Not bad for camping!! 

The next day we did 10 miles on the river and my dad decided to stay at the campground. When we got back it was already dark but he had some gumbo cooking away and the entire campground smelled delicious! It was cooked on the stovetop and even though I didn't get any pictures it did happen! Here is the kitchen.

It was the perfect way to end a long day on the river. Two great floats on the river, three great meals and lots of fun. It was a great weekend and really glad I got a small egg to share great meals with friends and family! 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Sounds like a really fun camping trip and it looks like you ate like kings. Nicely done.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Looks & sounds like a great time with great food! Very nice.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Looks like a great time. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Great pics and narrative. Sounds like a wonderful trip with great food.
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    So good.  So very good!
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Awesome thread!  Way to represent us small owners!   =D>
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Inspirational post!  I have a camping trip coming up...but I expect to hike into the campsite.  I think I can find a way to tie the small to my backpack! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    LOVE these types of posts and pictures. Nothing better than being outdoors with your BGE
  • Great looking camping spot and the BGE makes it perfect !!!! 

=D>

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Vitaman
    Vitaman Posts: 46

Great story (and pics)...thanks for sharing!

Jeff

• GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    Great thread. Thanks.
    When in doubt add more pepper.
  • Solson005
    Thanks everyone! It was a great weekend and fun to have great food camping I think my uncle should be a egghead soon!

@cazzy your thread showing how much food can be made on a small helped me decide to buy one. I'm so glad I did!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Nothing better than camping with an egg. Way to go
    Large, small, and a mini
  • cazzy
    Solson005 said:

@cazzy your thread showing how much food can be made on a small helped me decide to buy one. I'm so glad I did!

Good to hear...funny how many reference that thread. Lol

This has inspired me to do My SBGE Weekend Adventure 2. Lol

• Solson005
    Can't wait for the sequel!

It really is shocking how much food you can turn out on that little guy. With it being next to a large or XL in the dealership it is almost a deterrent until you see a post like yours. 

I will be trying a mobile pizza party on thursday, it will be the first pizza not on my large... I have kept it under 400° to try and give the gasket time to settle. It should be interesting to say the least. I'm also using a emeril recipe @Skiddymarker suggested and it should be good. 
  • cazzy
    I personally think fried gaskets are more due to plate setters than anything else. I don't own one and have never babied my gasket and both are intact after numerous high temp cooks.
  • Solson005
    @cazzy I just changed my large after a year and it was barely coming apart in the back. Do you do pizza on the small with the woo? Mine has the handles unlike yours I believe, so I am going to cut some fire brick tomorrow to get the stone to sit level above the handles. Any tips for pizza on the small?
  • cazzy
    I honestly have not done pizza on a small so i'm not much help in that department.  Austin Egghead might be able to help.  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143866

My Woo doesn't have handles. :D

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136

I cooked up a pizza on my Small a few weeks ago but can't find pics right now and can't remember if I used my Woo or platesetter.  Using a Woo, I would either put a smaller baking stone (8" diameter from my Mini) or a 10" drip pan on the Woo cross bars for the indirect piece, the cooking grid on top of the Woo (mine does not have handles), and then firebricks (I used a Mini Woo instead) to lift up the baking stone a little higher into the dome. 

Assuming you've cooked pizza on your large before, I'd suggest cooking it at the temps & times you normally would.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Solson005
    Thanks @cazzy I may have handles but I also have a grinder *-:) From that thread you sent me, It looks like austin egghead doesn't have handles either.. @R2Egg2Q Thanks for the advice I will cut some firebrick to get it just above the handles and see how that goes. I make pizza all the time on the large. That's part of the fun Eggsperimenting right?