Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Spatchcocked Chicken

pileit1971
pileit1971 Posts: 136
edited October 2012 in Poultry
Okay I have made the call and have my in laws coming over tonight for Chicken Dinner...

I have seen most of the posts that detail it... but some questions...

375-400 Raised direct.... 375-400 Dome or grid??  Raised ??? to the felt line or higher??

I have the AR rig, and the Woo, not sure which one is higher...

Should I ice the breasts a little bit or do they cook about the same with the thighs??

Thanks, and pics to follow...
Large BGE
Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio

Comments

• I normally do 350-375 raised direct but last night I did it indirect and it was awesome. Totally crispy skin and the breast and leg quarters were equally juicy. Finished it off today and it was still juicy after the reheat. So, I say no need to ice the breasts with this method.

If you go direct, raised to the Felt line or even a  little higher is OK. Just use whichever AR/Woo that gets you where you want to be. either should be fine. I used Cherry wood and it was really good. I've done apple too and loved the flavor. The cherry will darken the skin quite a bit and it has a mild smoke flavor that works well on poultry (apple is great for yard bird too).  
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Here is how mine turned out:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Is there a time difference in direct or indirect?  I know we cook to internal temp, but still need a ballpark.  Shooting for 6pm dinner and its 4:15 know, was shooting for the hour cook time, and just fired up the egg.

Thanks
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • Is there a time difference in direct or indirect?  I know we cook to internal temp, but still need a ballpark.  Shooting for 6pm dinner and its 4:15 know, was shooting for the hour cook time, and just fired up the egg.

Thanks
    Nope. 375 for about an hour. Thighs were 190 and breast 160 when I pulled them (maybe 1:15 but right around an hour or a little over)
  • Here are some pictures...

Answer me this... in the temp pictures. The dome temp is 375 degrees but grid temp is only showing 275.. the probe is over the platesetter, so I am not sure if that is the reason...
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • Here are some pictures...

Answer me this... in the temp pictures. The dome temp is 375 degrees but grid temp is only showing 275.. the probe is over the platesetter, so I am not sure if that is the reason...
    That's because its touching your 43 degree chicken
  • BTW- It is a little hotter in the dome than it is at the grid but usually 25-30 degrees. That can even out over the cook but it can take quite a while. Your are so far off because it's too close you your bird. If you moved that out to the side (still over the platesetter but away from the cold bird) you would see the results change quite a bit

• DAMMMITTTT, should have known better... thanks for the obvious mistake
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • Two words WOW and YUMMMM

And I know someone else made a comment on this forum before, but my kids who normally will only eat chicken nuggets, hot dogs and other CRAP food, asked for seconds!!!

Thanks for advice!!!
    Large BGE

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Looks great, see no need to worry.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    The first is always the best. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • GREG
    GREG Posts: 22
    I've got my first cook on now. The Spatchcock. Egg's been here a week waiting for me to get home. Looks good so far.