Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tough Turbo Ribs?

Mayberry
Mayberry Posts: 750
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I tried to turbo some St. Louis ribs last night, and it didn't go we'll at all. It was raining from the time I started, and for the first time ever, I struggled to get the Egg up to 350. I assume the lump was moist from the humidity. Anyway, indirect at 350 for over 2 hrs, and they were horrible. You had to tug like crazy to get the meat off the bone. Not sure where I went wrong. I've done plenty of 3-2-1 ribs with great results, and have cut the time to 4 hrs total with a little higher heat, and those were good, too. At 350, I spritzed with apple juice/cider vinegar at 30 minutes, flipped bone side up at 1 hr, spritzed again at 1hr, 30 minutes and sauced at 2 hrs. I left on for another 15 minutes after saucing. Any suggestions? Or, better yet, why were they so bad?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    You just didn't leave them on long enough, even at the higher temp.  St. Louis ribs have a lot of meat on them and they just weren't cooked long enough.

I did some baby backs last Sunday and they are normally about 4 to 4 1/2 hour cook and for some reason these took almost 6 hours.  I actually brought them in, took one bite and took them back out to the egg for another hour and they were great.

The reason you never do Q to time.  Always tenderness/temp.
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Just cook them longer
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Man, I'm sorry to hear about your bad results.  I can honestly say I have yet to have that happen.  Always bite through tender.  Sounds like they were real meaty ribs and they just did not cook long enough or the membrane was left on them.  I always do the bend test and watch for pull back to make sure they are done.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    They pulled back slightly and the membrane was removed, the smaller end of the ribs were more tender than the larger side. But, overall, my worst Egg cook so far.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590