Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon Wrapped Meatballs for work

Options
R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Made some bacon wrapped Italian meatballs for a b-day potluck at work the other day. I had intended to make true MOINK balls but couldn't find any all beef meatballs at the grocer so I went with a beef & pork combo instead. These were still well received:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Have been thinking about those. Yours look good.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• R2Egg2Q
    Options
    Thx Mickey. I don't eat many of them as they're not exactly healthy but my co-workers are pretty obsessed with them. I like that they're easy to make in the AM before heading to the office.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    These have become the favorite appetizers at our cookouts and tailgate outings. I've got 8 grandsons so you can imagine how many I have to make to feed that crew.

Yours look great.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Mmmmm....I could go for a plate full of those right about now.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Dave in Florida
    Options
    So basically all you do is wrap a meatball with bacon, cook till the bacon is crispy, add BBQ sauce, then caramelize the sauce?  Are you cooking to a desired temp?  I might have to give these a try and sent some of those to my wife's work this year.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options

That's pretty much it Dave in FL.  Store bought frozen meatballs (about 1/2 oz sized), thawed a few hours in the fridge (hard to push a toothpick or skewer through if it is completely frozen), wrapped with a 1/2 piece of bacon, and lightly dusted with your favorite BBQ rub.

Cook either indirect around 280 degrees grid temp with a drip pan or raised direct at around 260 degrees grid temp. 

Smoke over a fruit wood of your choice and cook for around 75-90 minutes (until the bacon has reached your desired crispiness).  If you used frozen meatballs, they were already cooked so you don't really worry about the meatball IT.  If you make your own fresh meatballs from raw meats you'll want to check their temps.

Dip the MOINKs into BBQ sauce or brush sauce onto them.  Cook for about 10-15 minutes to allow the sauce to set.

Pretty easy.

Bay Area, CA
  • sweyers
    Options
    so I just ended my 8 month stretch on weight watchers to see these delightful morsels
    after I give these a try I will start over. 
    wishing I was one of Duganboy's grand children, at least their matabalislium