Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Transport LBGE

Backyard MikeBackyard Mike Posts: 3
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have a large BGE and I'm thinking of entering a competition - it's on a nest - how would you transport it? I have a car, no truck. I thought of renting a U- haul truck with a lift gate. Any other ways of doing it?

Comments

• BamaEGGBamaEGG Posts: 168
    BGE sells a transport accessory that fits into the receiver hitch on a vehicle. Its a bit pricey I think, but would be ideal. I'd be curious to see other's opinions of it.

I carried mine to the park yesterday. I used a "potlifter" made for moving large clay flowerpots to move it. WIthout a truck you'll have to strap it in like a passenger. Or if your using a SUV secure it in the back. Make sure you secure it where it wont fall over. Some folks have made a box for it that it sits in while transporting then flip the box over and put the egg on to cook instead the nest.

Again I'd really like to know more about the trailer hitch carrier though.
  • I have a truck now, but had an SUV and I'd strap it in the back where it couldn't realy tip, and I have fit 2, 2 nests, and supplies and they travelled just fine.
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 4,571
    edited October 2012
    Like @BamaEgg suggested, I have seen many pics where someone had a large riding "shotgun" strapped in with the seatbelt.  The potlifter is also a great suggestion (just check Amazon).  The potlifter makes it much easier for two people to carry the egg.  If you have to do it solo, then the potlifter doesn't help as much, but still better than nothing. 

One more tip is you can remove the innards (fire bx and fire ring) and transport separately to reduce the weight and it is one less thing to bounce around.  

Depending on what kind of car you have, it might be a pain to wrestle it in and out but it has been done! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 
  • BamaEGGBamaEGG Posts: 168
    ive moved mine with the potlifter by myself. I had to remove all the stuff inside. I don't recommend. The Egg will make your lower back its.. well you know.

One thing to keep in mind. If you are transporting it inside a vehicle. You probably need to give it plenty of time to cool down. You dont want that thing smoking inside your vehicle. #justsayin
  • HashmakerHashmaker Posts: 149
    I took mine to a competition last weekend. It sits in a table. I had to load most everything myself so I took my egg apart. Table and everything else in the bed of the truck. Base in the front seat and dome in the back seat. Probably not the recommended method but I was flying solo so it made it easier for me.