Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Sulfer Smelling Ribs

GreenhawKGreenhawK Posts: 398
edited September 2012 in Pork
I had to work this morning and decided to try a small butcher shop that is in the little town that I was working in.  It was a nice place.  I wish we had a place like it in Decatur.  

Anyway.  After hundreds and hundreds of slabs of ribs, these had that sulfer smell that I have heard about.  It was a big puff right in my face when I first popped the plastic.  After a quick google search, I decided to try them anyway.  What I could find says that if the smell goes away quickly, wash them off and press on.  

Well, I'm still alive. They did have a small hint of that taste though. I'm drinking whiskey to hopefully kill off any bad stuff.  
Large BGE Decatur, AL
·

Comments

• Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,572
    Good idea. You can't be to careful.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • You have to rinse them really well, I mean like rubbing every bit under cold water. I don't like that smell one little bit.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • they most likely just came out of the cryo. pork and dark meat chicken can really smell out of the package. I've had beef primals smell some too. the "rinse it and give it 20 minutes" advice is perfectly correct info.

·
  • where is big green dave when you need him?

·
  • These weren't cryo packed when I got them.  Although that doesn't mean that the butcher didn't get them that way.

Large BGE Decatur, AL
    ·
  • GreenhawK said:
    These weren't cryo packed when I got them.  Although that doesn't mean that the butcher didn't get them that way.

correct. that is what i was hinting at. If he cut them fresh, then shame on him, Most "butchers" don't anymore.

·
  • The worst part is that they were the prettiest slabs of ribs I've had in a while.  The whole ride home I was thinking about how I was going to get more there for the next competition.  

There is no way that I could turn them in now though.  Just from that small little hint of bitter taste.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
    ·
    You shoulda been around for that series. It was friggin hilarious. I asked one of the involved offline to be straight up with me and he answered on a technicality. I bought in and made an ass of myself

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    You shoulda been around for that series. It was friggin hilarious. I asked one of the involved offline to be straight up with me and he answered on a technicality. I bought in and made an ass of myself

I can only imagine. i am still confused, but I'm pretty sure it was hilarious.Just guessing, but it did seem funny

·
  • You have to go back to BGD's original posts. It was a compilation of two of the most brilliant guys I have ever known. It was laid out like a Tom Clancy novel

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • You have to go back to BGD's original posts. It was a compilation of two of the most brilliant guys I have ever known. It was laid out like a Tom Clancy novel

sadly. i did that. I have laughed out loud in strange airports and bus terminals several times since. Truly genius

·
  • @Greenhawk, have kept this one pager bookmarked for reference, easy to understand. Sulphur is usually the result of natural "aging" and a quick, thorough rinse with cold running water, followed by an air dry will probably put everything right. 

I had a pork shoulder with a slight odor, rinsed it, dried it all was good, obtained the official seal of approval from my wife. Everyone eating it said it was great, but to me it tasted off. I'm sure it was absolutely fine, it was just my mind playing games with me, kind of a subconscious thing. 

Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • I survived the night, so I guess everything was ok.  My wife and son never said anything about the off taste.  They gobbled them up quickly.  I am starting to think the off taste was in my head too.  Maybe since I am the one that got the face full of the sulphur smell.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
    ·
  • demodemo Posts: 145
    I like the whiskey part.
    ·
  • demo said:
    I like the whiskey part.

+1

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage."

·
  • EggerinLAEggerinLA Posts: 186
    edited October 2012
    I rather enjoy the smell of sulfer.
    ·
  • If it comes from fireworks or a match yes...my dinner not so much.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage."

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,197
    Sulfur smells like poop. :(

·
  • Sulfur smells like poop. :(
    What the hell have you been eating??????????

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,197

Sulfur smells like poop. :(
    What the hell have you been eating??????????

Some good sh*t, 'specially off the egg. :)

·