Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Char Crusted London Broil

bdavidson
bdavidson Posts: 411
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Made a nice london broil last evening. My wife soaked it for the better part of the afternoon in some Coors (sorry, folks...it was the cheapest available at the time), and then I coated both sides with liberal amounts of Garlic Peppercorn CC. Fired up the Egg. Temp only reached about 475 max (must be time to clean out the grate again!), but no matter. Threw the meat on the egg and pseudoseared at 2.5 minutes per side and then closed it up and left it dwell for another 8-9 minutes. So juicy and tender! The serving plate could not contain the juices! It had a perfect hint of malt with the complimenting Char Crust. Love that stuff! Friday night: Steak Au Poivre with shitake mushrooms!

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    bdavidson,[p]Sounds awesome, what time is dinner on Friday, can I bring my wife with me? Do you want me to bring anything? I have a nice Cabernet that would go great with the Steak. Let me know. hehehe[p]Good luck with the Friday cook, sounds like it will be awesome.[p]Troy

• bdavidson, I've seen the mention of char crust before so I assume that must be a product name. Who makes it? Where can a flat lander find it? Does it replace the use of yellow mustard for sealing in the juices or does it have a favor of it's own? Inquiring kat wants help!~

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    one feral kat,
    They have a website...but don't remember url.
    It is a tasty seasoning mix (several varieties) that is used to coat meat as a rub. It chars nicely due to it's makeup, and has a unique flavor. I use it with a mustard slater sometimes. Other times I will coat the meat, then mist with olive oil. Good stuff...worth having around. From what I understand the company offers a 5 sampler pack that is the way to go at first. Someone will probably chime in with the website.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    one feral kat,[p]I stumbled across this stuff maybe a year ago and informed the forum about it. Most seem to enjoy it. You should be able to find it locally or you can order from this site. There are 5 (I think) different blends and each seems to best enhance a particular recipe. Try them all.[p]K~G

[ul][li]Char Crust site[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    bdavidson,
    Sounds great. Looks like you are eating well...and already have Friday mapped out!
    I will try the charcrust on the LB I have in the freezer. Next time you do that dish, go out and getcha a pint of Guinness, and use that for the marinade....MMMMM-mmmmmm!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • bdavidson
    Nature Boy,
    You know, I almost bought the Guiness, but opted for the cheaper brew. Maybe in October?

• bdavidson
    one feral kat,
    Check out the website that KennyG posted. I bought the sampler pack on recommendations from this forum last year. My favorites are the southwest spicey blend and the garlic peppercorn blend. MMMMMMMMM--Good.

• bdavidson
    sprinter,
    We live minutes from the Harrisburg airport! Stop on in. I may need to get a few more filets!