Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BeerCan Chicken

Options
Backyard Mike
Backyard Mike Posts: 80
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Brined overnight
4 qt water
6 oz salt
1 cup apple cider

Rubbed with no salt creole seasoning & olive oil

Beer can opened added 1 TBS seasoning & put in cavity

Put half of beer in spray bottle with 1 cup apple cider 1TBS balsamic vinegar 1 TBS olive oil

Spritzed about every 20 minutes

Took almost 2 hours to get to 165 in breast.

Chicken came out great. Sweet potatoes in the pan didn't get cooked.

Cooked @ 325

Comments

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Options
    Good looking chicken. I know a lot of people prefer the spatchcocked version (which is very tasty) but I also like a beer can chicken every now and then. Always good to have several ways to cook a yard bird.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited October 2012
    Options
    We beer canned a lot of chickens, until I got a vertical roasting stand, much better and easier to set up and no more wasted beer. Same moist tasty chicken even if I drank the beer and filled the can with water. Once we discovered spatchcocking, even the vertical roaster has been collecting dust. My MBGE can hold three (smaller) chickens if I part out the birds (1/4 cut). Using a 12" drip pan on the setter, indirect at 350, I move the thigh parts over the outside to give them a little more heat. Because they are parted out, rub surface is greater - better taste. There is also the option to simply grill a spatchcocked or parted bird, rather than roast it. 

Here is an article on beer canning, which I still think is a great novelty if you like it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    I do spatchcock chicken more often then beer can. Mostly because spatched chicken gets done faster. I don't see a ton of difference in flavor between the two. On my last beer can I switched it up and used Apple juice instead of beer and rubbed the chicken with pork rub. So good.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
     Sweet potatoes in the pan didn't get cooked.
    Curious about this last statement - are you saying that the potatoes didn't cook after 2 hours in a 325 egg?
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.