Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Tri Tip and Split Chicken Breasts

cazzycazzy Posts: 8,841
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
It's been a while since i've egged, but I guess I still am able to stumble to good results.  This was the best tri tip i've made as previous versions were good, but slightly under-seasoned.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• Looks great.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 20,400
    looks perfect and juicy

• Wow, How long, What Temp. it looks perfect!!!
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,656
    Looks really good Cazzy!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,841
    Thanks guys!

@Bumm39 I seared at around 600 using the spider and a cast iron grid. I don't sear by time, I sear till I have the color I'm looking for. It worked out to about 4-5 minutes if I was estimating...longer than norm due to volume.

After searing, I pulled meat and set up the adjustable rig direct at its highest level which put the grid a few inches above the felt. *Added cherry chips. It only took about 5 minutes for the egg to come down to 400, but I held the tri tip longer than normal so I could get a head start on the chicken. I let the tri tip roast (didnt flip) with the chicken till it reached 134. Again, don't really cook by time but it probably took about 30 minutes to reach temp. I let it rest for about 10-12 minutes in a foil tent before slicing.

**I heavily seasoned the tri tip with kosher sea salt and DP Red Eye Express.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Thanx, will try very soon.