Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So I finally have an egg...

Options
firebike
firebike Posts: 39
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just picked up my medium today. I had to wait a week for the dealer to get back from a show, but I did not waste my time. I have already started building a table. One question though, Are they supposed to come with feet? I did not see any in the box, and I thought I might need them for the table. Also with the break in period is there anything I cannot cook for the first couple of times? I have alot of reading and knowledge to learn here, any guidance or newbie mistake avoidance would be appreciated. 

Comments

• calracefan
    Options
    My Large did not come with feet, Use a paver stone under your egg(available at a hardware store).I was told to keep the temp below 400 degrees for the first few cooks to let the gasket adhesive cure. So, Ribs , pork butt things of that nature.Good Luck, you will become obsessed like the rest of us !

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    Welcome and remember - if there are no pictures; it didn't happen.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    There is no break in with an Egg.  Please have me over for tastings..  Enjoy and welcome!  :)
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• cortguitarman
    Options
    You will fry the gasket, even after the "break in". Don't get upset. Big green egg will provide a free nomex replacement. I would suggest spatchcock chicken. It is awesome.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Welcome to the zoo. Interesting comment above from @MaskedMarvel, my medium egg (new version spring 2012) came with explicit instructions to avoid dome temps over 400 for the first few uses to help cure the gasket and to check the band torque after the first few uses. Maybe just my dealer, or may have come from BGE, not sure. It is also possible your egg has the new light grey high temp gasket, BGE is now shipping all eggs with high temp gaskets. 
    @cortguitarman - great idea, was my first cook using plate setter and it was awesome. Real confidence builder. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options

Get your credit card ready to buy (toys) for your Egging Joy.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Congrats on the Medium! BGE discontinued the feet & now sells a table nest Eggscessory to lift the Egg & provide an air gap. Perhaps your dealer still has extra feet around his shop and can set you up with some. If you don't use them under your Egg they are useful to hold up drip pans, baking stones, Dutch ovens, etc... inside your Egg.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    You're gonna love the new egg and this forum. My dealer also recommended a few lower cooks. The spatchcock is unreal...might sell my fryer. As a fairly new egger all I can pass along is start your lump fire small and tune in from there. Trying to go from 650 to 350 takes a few. The naked whiz had a great explaining this. There are varying opinions on
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    edited September 2012
    Options

Welcome to the cult-being here means you have consumed the Kool-Aid.. What follows are a few things that may be of help as you get going-

Misc info-on indirect cooks (platesetter in) your dome temp will initially read around 20-40*F hotter than the temp at the cooking grid-gaps narrows the longer the dome is shut.  If not specified, cooking  temperatures reference the dome temp.  Check the calibration of your dome thermo before you start.  Always wait til the smoke is burning "clear" before putting your food on..(if smoke smells good then all is well, if not-wait)

No need to worry about time to get to the low&slow cook temp-a few minutes delay on the many hour cook is not a deal-breaker.  Key is to not grossly overshoot your target temp-if you leave the dome open to initially get a good fire going-set the lower vent and DMFT to about where you expect them to be when steady-state at the time you shut the dome. Then adjust as necessary-and don't sweat "dead-on" temps for the low&slow cooks. 270*F+/- 30* is close enough.  Just get the BGE stable (45- 60 mins) and then let it do the work.  You can spend the cook chasing temperature (remember the fire is responding to air flow changes so the feedback loop has quite a delay time). 

Best basic info site going- http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm    great reference and the recipe section will get you well on your way.  Enjoy the journey!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    @loussubcap great tips. I'll also add that learning temp settings is the most intimidating part of egging. Don't get frustrated. Once you understand temp control, the rest is easy. For low and slows, many will recommend a temp controller. I advise against it at first. Once you learn to control temps you won't need them.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @firebike-Along with cortguitarman's comment about the controller, I'm in the same camp- With regard to the electronic temperature controller, my opinion (and we all know what those are worth...) is that you should get comfortable using the lower vent and DFMT for temperature control before even considering that purchase.  Many of us think the BGE will do fine at low& slow cooks without the electronics...but your choice.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Options
    You will fry the gasket, even after the "break in". Don't get upset. Big green egg will provide a free nomex replacement. I would suggest spatchcock chicken. It is awesome.
    +1 on the spatchcock chicken!  I have done it several times and it is AWESOME and extremely easy.  Hard to screw up too!
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    Options
    I've been BBQing for over 30 years. Nothing compares to a BGE.
    Enjoy!
    When in doubt add more pepper.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I think the new ones are all coming with nomex. If he got new production (last few months) he might have it already. Hope so or he will be changing it out sooner than later. Welcome aboard firebike. We are glad to have you and hope you find your time here valuable....or at least have a few laughs on us.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Zaltydog
    Options
    ++++1 on the check your bands after several cooks.  I lit my egg yesterday and while I was watching the lump begin to burn I noticed that my upper band had slipped very low on the dome.  A quick trip to the garage to get a wrench followed by some adjustment has prevented a sure disaster...
  • firebike
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips. I was also thinking that Spatch Chicken is in order and something the whole fam I think will get on boards with. I have already been looking for the accessories and all the things I may need. I may be over my head and the wife will have to lock down the debit card. I gotit set up today and cannot wait to something cooking. I will post my first results soon.
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    Don't go crazy on accessories until you figure out how you will use it most. A plate setter or other indirect piece is a must and so is a remote thermometer. Other things are just icing on the cake.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Congrats on your purchase.  I'll second the tip for a remote thermometer.  I got my Maverick this week and it's extemely handy.  Second best purchase I made last month (1st was the LBGE itself).  I had also heard about doing a few lower temp cooks at first.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014