Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about ham

Options
FanOfFanboys
FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
So going to do a ham so I can slice for sandwiches. But all the ones I saw at grocery store were already cooked, just needed like reheated. Is that normal?
Boom

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Options
    That's what I've found too, but I asked the butcher if he could get an uncooked ham and he said yes.  Just give him one day.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited September 2012
    Options

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options

Nothing wrong with those. You are re-smoking them. I bet 90%+ of the hams cooked on both forums are like that. I have done lots of hams (easy cook). Egrets ham is far,far the most popular and the one I did most. But the last two I have done with nothing but smoke and we like them. Can't be an easier cook. You score the ham deep and put it on indirect with smoke at 325 for about an hour and a half.

imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options

I am having major edit problems today on forum.

For smoke I like a mix of pecan and cherry.

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks for info. Now I feel better ha. It'll mostly get used for salads and sandwiches. So if only takes 90 mins or so I'll knock out tonight.
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    I'll need to buy wood chips. I only have jack Daniels right now. Might be to harsh for ham.
    Boom
  • Mickey
    Options
    I'll need to buy wood chips. I only have jack Daniels right now. Might be to harsh for ham.

Yep. Where are you?

• Mickey
    Options
    Found my post for Naked Ham:A few days ago went looking for (did not know this at the time) a naked ham / smoke only. Thank you Wayne (Thirdeye)for the hand holding. Also thanks to Richard and Gary (Village Idiot)and Kent and Chubby for all the emails and calls on other ways to do a ham w/o the maple. Guys this was outstanding ham. It tasted like ham. It was a 7 lb Cooks ham (shank) and NOTHING was put on it (Nothing). Just smoke: both pecan and cherry chunks. Cooked at 300 till 145/150. I did score the ham deep.

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    In SC.
    I can get pecan from local stores or my buddy who owns a tree business. I think a local place sells cherry chips but I've never bought so not 100%.
    I feel much better about expected outcome now.
    Boom