Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Good way to make a bison hump roast

RafaelRafael Posts: 6
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have a 3.5 pound bison hump roast.
What's a good way to prepare it in the egg?
Thanks!

Comments

• gdenbygdenby Posts: 5,424
    I've cooked several cuts of bison, but I've never encountered a hump roast. Can you describe it?
  • It's an odd shaped roast, similar in shape to a brisket but larger.
    I've never prepared one before
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 5,424
    I looked around, and found some information. I've been cooking bison off and on for about 8 years, but no vendor has aver offered a hump roast. I'll offer what i hope are some informed guesses, based on what I found online.

I've never had a piece of bison that was not lean, even ones that were fed some grain. And, the more exercise the animal  had, like grazing the plains of So. Dakota, the tougher the meat was, altho' sweeter.

I found one reference that said the hump muscle is responsible for moving and raising the head. I suppose that means it has lots of connective tissue, 'cause it works a lot. Are there seams of white in between the muscle bundles, or are there many small muscle bundles surrounded by thin white sheaths? If so, the meat will most likely be very tasty, but quite tough.

A marinade would not hurt. Fruits go well with bison, so maybe a fruit wine based solution.

You might try going lo-n-slo with it, but, personally, I'd chicken out and foil it after an hour or two. Let the trapped hot water vapor melt as much connective tissue as possible.

Or, and this is just a guess, you might try slicing it very thin, and just searing each slice for a minute or two.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
  • I looked around for a while and didn't see a bbq recipe but a couple of sites say low and slow will work. I'm very interested in your results. Several sites say that bison were harvested for that roast alone.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sounds cool. It's going to be lean so hopefully you have some good connective tissue to give you some collagen. I say low and slow and I might even........gasp.......wrap in foil after a few hours or smoke in order to conserve what natural juices you may get. If you wrap, let it come up to 150-160 then wrap it up for the duration.

Let us know how it goes.
    Keeping it Weird in the ATX
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    1 Karubecue C60 (aka-"The Dishwasher")
    More accessories than TFJ knows about and one more purchase from mandatory counciling
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 22,191
    WTF?! Foil!?  Oh, the humanity!!!!  (actually, methinks a good idea too...)

• WTF?! Foil!?  Oh, the humanity!!!!  (actually, methinks a good idea too...)

I know, it hurt my heart to write that but bison is so lean its hard to keep it moist. It's like trying to make a roast with chicken breast.
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    More accessories than TFJ knows about and one more purchase from mandatory counciling
  • In truth, Ive been doing bscb in the cast iron on the woo with the adjustable rig in. Once they get a good caramelisation I pull them, put the grid on the rig and shut the vents down to finish. Pretty darn good and very juicy.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• In truth, Ive been doing bscb in the cast iron on the woo with the adjustable rig in. Once they get a good caramelisation I pull them, put the grid on the rig and shut the vents down to finish. Pretty darn good and very juicy.

bscb?
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
  • Boneless skinless chicken breasts...what a maroon :P

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 15,148
    edited September 2012
    Boneless skinless chicken breasts...what a maroon :P

I'm just learning all this stuff. When I get my egg, I'm gonna be awesome!!!!!!!
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
  • My money's on you son

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 22,191
    what's a "moroon"?  An escaped slave?

• Bugs Bunny...no offense. I'm Canadian and don't know anything about anything

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bugs Bunny...no offense. I'm Canadian and don't know anything about anything

Toally got the BB reference. Love me some buggs
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
  • And Michigan J Frog and Foghorn Leghorn. RIP Mel Blanc

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• my all time fave:
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
  • This still doubles me over

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRnX4quv5W4

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• me too. and.......
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
  • Let's stop this or the internet will be full. Wile E. Coyote and Acme products. Foghorn and the dog. The Martian. Fudd and wabbit season. Never mind what Bugs does to Taz. It just doesn't end

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Let's stop this or the internet will be full. Wile E. Coyote and Acme products. Foghorn and the dog. The Martian. Fudd and wabbit season. Never mind what Bugs does to Taz. It just doesn't end

agreed. I was just going b. bunny. throw all the others in, it could get bad
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
  • I'll try it lo and slo and then foil it. I'm planning on making it tomorrow, I'll let ya'all know how it turns out. It's from a grass fed bison so it is definitely lean.