Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs Doneness Test

dawsonhull
dawsonhull Posts: 105
edited September 2012 in Pork
Hey guys! I'm trying ribs for the first time - using Car Wash Mike's method. I'm about two hours in. The method says to "pick the slab up and fold them in half" to check for doneness. I'm sure it's going to make perfect sense when I actually do it, but what does that mean? Do I hold both ends and fold them up in a V? Should it bend all the way to where the two ends can touch?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    edited September 2012
    The doneness test you refer to is the bend test-with a set of tongs, pick up one end of the full rack and eyeball the bend of the rack in mid air.  Around 90* and you are there-others use the toothpick test-insert a toothpick into the meat near the bone-no resistance in or out in several places-done.  The toothpick is about the best way if you have to cut the racks to cook them.  Enjoy the journey and the ribs.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • That's what I needed to know! Thanks for your help!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Something like this ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Doing same recipe just started.......did u spray. I don't have apple juice
  • Something like this ;)

A picture is worth a thousand words.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Yes I'm spraying with 50/50 apple juice and apple cider vinegar. Just sprayed my last time.
  • Should I coat just the meat side with bbq sauce or the bone side, too?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170

Cook 'em any way you want but keep track and change only one variable at a time til you get the set-up that works best-here are some notes about rib cooks when you see the X-X-X cook mentioned-FWIW- "Basically ribs are cooked as usual (bone side down for me) for the first X hours. Then they are removed from the cooker and wrapped with liquid (Q sauce, some other liquid for flavoring etc) in a foil pouch with the meat side down. This becomes step -0- mentioned above. The sealed ribs are then returned to the cooker.  At the end of the "0" time-frame, the ribs are removed from the foil and then put back on the BGE for the final "0" time-frame.  This is when sauce is added if your desire.  X-X-X defines the cook cycle.  Those of us X-0-0 run without any of the above extras.  It's all in what you like-experiment and enjoy the journey"

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I was very pleased with the turnout! Moist, smoky, tender, sweet...very good! I used Butt Rub for the rub and Sticky Fingers Carolina Sweet for the sauce. Wish I had Dizzy Pig and Blues Hog - aren't any dealers local, so I'd have to order online. Gives me an excuse to try again! Thanks again for all of the input.

@Bear02 how did yours turn out?

P.S. Don't worry, the gas tank is for my mower, not the BGE!!
  • 1 hour to go here. Pizza not ordered yet!!! Wish me luck
  • Haha - I hadn't really added up all of the hours yet either when I was cooking. Didn't know it would take 5 1/2 hours but it was all worth it! Best of luck!