Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maple glazed, bacon wrapped sweet potato tots and Cheddar Cheese Garlic biscuits

Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Turkey for dinner, and wanted something different with it.  Frozen sweet potato tots, thawed just enough to push through a toothpick.  Wrapped in bacon, then brushed with pure maple syrup.  Indirect at 400 for about 30 minutes.  While the turkey was resting, threw on some Red Lobster type biscuits at 450 for 20 minutes.

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Tj looks really good biscuits got a nice brown to them . one question what was for dessert ?
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Tjcoley
    No dessert tonight but planning on something for tomorrow if I have time.
    A2Z Posts: 99
    edited October 2012
    Tj, where did you find sweet potato tots?  Or did you make them?
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Hell of a cook. Never seen thiose sweet tater tots. Will have to keep my eyes peeled at the store.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Tjcoley
    Local grocery stores just started carrying them.  Hadn't seen them before either, but when I did I knew I had to do something with them.
    Zick Posts: 190
    What a great idea.
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Tjcoley said:
    Local grocery stores just started carrying them.  Hadn't seen them before either, but when I did I knew I had to do something with them.
    So, in true BGE fashion, they were wrapped in bacon and a baste of Maple syrup. Like Griff said, "hell of a cook" Thanks for sharing Tj. 
    If you get a chance try, wrapping a full water chestnut with bacon and baste of Maple syrup (As a Canadian the word Maple must always be capitalized)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Tjcoley
    Thanks Skiddymarker.  I've done traditional Rumaki using the water chestnut, chicken liver (or a piece of chicken for those who don't like the liver), marinated in a soy, ginger, brown sugar mix, then wrapped in bacon and broiled,  The water chestnut, bacon, Maple syrup sounds good too.  (I capitalized the 'M' for you)
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Definitely a great looking meal TJ!  Can you please provide detailed instructions on how you fabricated that 1/2 aluminum pan? ;).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Were the biscuits store bought as well, or do you have a recipe for those. My son is a fiend for those Dead Lobster cheddar biscuits.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Tjcoley
    Definitely a great looking meal TJ!  Can you please provide detailed instructions on how you fabricated that 1/2 aluminum pan? ;).  
    The pan was a foil 'broiler' pan, with ridges on the bottom.  Didn't need the whole thing, so I cut it in half and just folded up the side. Fit perfectly along side the turkey.
    YEMTrey said:
    Were the biscuits store bought as well, or do you have a recipe for those. My son is a fiend for those Dead Lobster cheddar biscuits.
    Biscuits were a mix.  I added some extra shredded cheddar, and brushed the tops with melted garlic butter when they were done.  
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Sweet potato tater tots?  If I can't find them in the store, I'll be figuring a way to make them myself!  Was it Alexia brand?  Sounds like a product they would make.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Tjcoley
    You are right on - Alexia brand 'Sweet Potato Puffs'. I was thinking you could also pre cook a sweet potato part way and cut it up and it would work as well.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Creative....sounds good.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN