Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuckie Must burn......

Options
The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Haven't contributed much lately so thought I'd burn some meat sling a few pics around. Doing a low and slow chuck roast for pulled beef. 3 lbs, worchestishire binder, and 50/50 Dizzy Pig Redeye/Cowlick and cooked over Ozark Oak lump and oak chunks. Plan to eat at half time of the TX/ok-state massacre tonight. Hook Em!

Hope you guys and gals are all having a great weekend. Seems drama free so far........we'll see :).

CT
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    edited September 2012
    Options

Pulled beef is a great alternative to all the pulled pork that routinely seems to be on the menu-you going simple or the "Clay-Q" recipe found here http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesPulledBeef.html

regardless-always great-enjoy-and may be time for the "bourbon train" to depart the station 

:)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Just don't start with me again. Wish I could post pics...photobucket is screwed up for me

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Just don't start with me again. Wish I could post pics...photobucket is screwed up for me

Mine is screwed up now too......

What the hell did you do???
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lousubcap said:

Pulled beef is a great alternative to all the pulled pork that routinely seems to be on the menu-you going simple or the "Clay-Q" recipe found here http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesPulledBeef.html

regardless-always great-enjoy-and may be time for the "bourbon train" to depart the station 

:)>-
    I saw that but I'm going old school. Smoke and spice (don't tell anyone, but I'm going to write a book with that title. Or maybe The Barbecue Bible, I can't decide). I think I will wrap it around 160 to hold some juices.

I think I just heard the whistle from that train.......chug-chug
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    And- seriously, the sky just opened and it poured 2 inches of rain in 15 minutes. Freaking crazy. TFJ was taking mocking photos of me trying to push the egg under the eave. Hopefully they came out because it was a sh*t show. Now I just have to get Steven to fix Photo Bucket and we are all good.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    @Cen-Tex, I have a 4 pounder sitting in the fridge for tomorrow.  What temp are you cooking at?  I was figuring to do it like I do pulled pork only taking it to 210 internal.
    Options
    Pouring here to CT. Couldn't be the same storm though?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Tjcoley said:

@Cen-Tex, I have a 4 pounder sitting in the fridge for tomorrow.  What temp are you cooking at?  I was figuring to do it like I do pulled pork only taking it to 210 internal.

Well I'm trying to cook around 275-300 but I can't get the temps up over 240 at the moment. Had a massive rainstorm that dropped the temps 20 degrees (ambient) and petty much stopped my egg temp from climbing for over an hour. I'm in no hurry though so just sippin' a little and watching some golf/football/Oprah.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Pouring here to CT. Couldn't be the same storm though?

I'm no weather man, but I think this is a different system....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    chuckie is all stalled out at 156. They are so cute when they are this small (3lbs)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    man- I thought this was going to be an easy cook with little effort on my part. It poured rain......3 freaking times after I thought the weather had moved out. I couldn't get temps up, my thermos were acting up and then i ran out of lump and the fire dwindled. Had to finish in the oven. Still haven't had a bite but it's finally resting and the house smells like a bbq joint. Peace all- big bourbon being poured and Centex OUT
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    And I was looking forward to following in your footsteps for this cook tomorrow. Hoping not to, but just saw the forecast and severe thunderstorms moving in tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully I'll finish before the weather.
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    And I was looking forward to following in your footsteps for this cook tomorrow. Hoping not to, but just saw the forecast and severe thunderstorms moving in tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully I'll finish before the weather.

Flavor was good but I would follow clay Q's recipe. It was pretty stringy and probably needed to be braised for hours like he does. If I'm going to spend 8 hrs cooking smething as he recommends, I'm not going to cook a chuckie. I would say...meh...not worth the effort. I would rather do a brisket flat or a small pork roast than this again
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    Sorry it didn't work out.  I'm 6 hours in and just put it in the dutch oven  Loosely following Clay Q's recipe, but using beef broth to braise it in, and forgot the bacon strips until an hour ago.  Got it in the DO just as the rain started.  We shall see.
    Options
    Sorry it didn't work out.  I'm 6 hours in and just put it in the dutch oven  Loosely following Clay Q's recipe, but using beef broth to braise it in, and forgot the bacon strips until an hour ago.  Got it in the DO just as the rain started.  We shall see.
    i think you'll be happier with that method
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I braised off the shredded beef in bbq sauce for a few hours and it turned out really, really good. I think chuck just needs some type of braise to get it right. still very smoky and awesome drenched in the sauce. I used my coffee stout bbq sauce and i tbraised down really well.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Stout cuts fat. It's really good for you
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Stout cuts fat. It's really good for you

yeah, but when you drink it by the gallon (that's almost 4 liters for you metric folks) the fat cutting properties are negated a bit
  • Little Steven
    Options
    No that is where you are wrong. The more the better. They give Guinness and Murphy's to people in hospital in the British Isles

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

No that is where you are wrong. The more the better. They give Guinness and Murphy's to people in hospital in the British Isles

Then I should feel much better than I do now.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I gotta say, the more this stuff braises down, the better it gets. My kids are wrecking this stuff and say it's awesome. I've had a few nibbles and it's really good. It's even held it's smoky flavour throughout the braise. I'll do it again for sure. Turned out pretty tasty after all said and done.
  • Tjcoley
    edited September 2012
    Options
    +1 on the braise. I just used beef broth, let it go about 2 hours at 300 degrees. Skipped Clay Q's step 3 and after letting it rest went ahead and ate. It pulled well and tasted great.  
    Options
    wow- just had a sammie. It was freaking awesome. For anyone who reads this, do the braise after the smoke (or just follow clay Q's recipe). This turned out really good
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    Great thread title.  Looks good and I have been wanting to try a chuck so thanks for the info.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lakewade said:
    Great thread title.  Looks good and I have been wanting to try a chuck so thanks for the info.

kung pai MFER and welcome back to the good ol USA. I'm home all week. Seems beers may be in order? Long time no see
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    kung pai MFER and welcome back to the good ol USA. I'm home all week. Seems beers may be in order? Long time no see
    Yeah I made it back from Asia one more time.  I am in for beers, watermelon rum, you call it.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
      I'm in no hurry though so just sippin' a little and watching some golf/football/Oprah.
    Just read through this thread.  Am I the only one unwilling to give Cen-Tex a bye on this.....?
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    DonWW said:
      I'm in no hurry though so just sippin' a little and watching some golf/football/Oprah.
    Just read through this thread.  Am I the only one unwilling to give Cen-Tex a bye on this.....?
    Oprah is an American Icon. If you don't love Oprah, You hate America. Move to France already

:))

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lakewade said:
    Yeah I made it back from Asia one more time.  I am in for beers, watermelon rum, you call it.
    I won't be calling watermelon rum.............