Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck Roast

Options
Kramer
Kramer Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello fellow BGE junkies! Just bought a 4.5 lb beef chuck roast and would like suggestions on how to Egg it! I haven't heard much about this cut of beef on the bbq circuit, but if mom can make a pot roast out of it, I should be able to kick it up a notch on the large egg. Any ideas?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Kramer, this pix and recipe is all you need to know IMHO!

[ul][li]what I just posted two days ago...[/ul]
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggecutioner
    Eggecutioner Posts: 628
    Options
    Kramer,[p]I agree with RRP. Clays Pulled Beef is the BEST. Well my version was pretty good too. I just didn't add the Maple suryp. My most recent kick has been the Lechon Asado Pork with the MOJO sauce. I am telling you this because I am thinking about doing another pulled beef but making it kinda Cubanized. with that Mojo sauce. I just love that Mojo. [p]Mojo sauce:
    1 cup olive oil
    12 cloves garlic (sliced thin)
    1 cup fresh lime juice
    1/3 cup orange juice
    2 tsp kosher salt
    2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp dried oregano
    ground black pepper to taste (~1 tsp)[p]Simmer all this in a sauce pan for about 20 minutes or so. Serve as a side dip for the pork.[p]Just my thoughts...[p]E

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Kramer,
    The previous two ideas sound great. Here's another, simpler method for pulled beef:
    Put on your favorite rub (mine's DP's Cowlick). Set up an indirect cook at about 225-250. Cook until internal temp is 185-200. At each 5 degrees from 185, test it with a fork so that the fork will slide through like butter. At that point it is done. Let it rest foiled for about 1 hour, then pull like a pork butt. Add your favorite sauce in small amounts to the pulled beef until its "right" and then serve. This way you get some of the charred surfaces that add so much flavor.You can enhance the crust by slavoring it with yellow mustard before the rub, but it's fine without it. Have fun.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Kramer,
    this is how i do pulled beef. you could also use your mothers pot roast recipe in the egg, potroast is good in the egg.

[ul][li]pulled beef[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Kramer
    Kramer Posts: 39
    Options
    Kramer,[p]Thanks folks! I'll give it a try!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Kramer, Don't know which recipe you'll follow or perhaps even wing it on your own, but may I add a kicker to Clay's recipe that was in his original thread before he submitted it as a recipe?...that is in stage 2 add one peeled, diced Golden Delicious apple. By the end of that stage the appple pieces will be moist, but still have some body, but by stage three's end that apple taste will have added a secret wonderful spin to the beef.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.