Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket finished way ahead of schedule. Now what?

Options
MacKay52
MacKay52 Posts: 74
edited September 2012 in Beef
Company due to be here in 8 hours. 9 lb brisket hit 210° in only 10 hrs at 225°. I triple wrapped in foil and covered it in towels in a cooler. Anything else I can do or will I just need to cross fingers and reheat?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    First-are your thermos calibrated?   And did you check for doneness in the thickest part of the flat...probe should go in and out like butter.  The point will run hotter (fat content) and easily be around 210 while the flat lags.  All that written-8 hours  is pushing the outside of the foil, towel and cooler hold.  But if you have wrapped it tightly in foil, eliminated the air space with towels and have a good cooler you should be fine.  You could insert a thremo and track in the cooler. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MacKay52
    Options
    The meat Thermometer is calibrated. I guess I should recheck the dome. It slid in like butter and I checked temp in 4 spots, including the flat.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    8 hours is a long hold.  You migh consider cooling it down and when it's time to eat offer the following

- slice the flat thin and offer cold brisket sliced beef sandwhiches:  good hard roll and optional cheese with various condiments.   sliced thin and against the grain, brisket (pastrami like) makes a killer sammie.  Just tell guests, the brisket was done way early and the is option two.  they'll understand.  And good chance, they never had a cold brisket sammie either......

- slice flat thing, simmer in au jux for somthing similar to a philly cheese steak sammie.

- chop the point for hot chopped brisket sandwiches.  When guests arrive ask if they want cold (flat sammie) or hot (point sammie).  Then, if needed, you can add flat to point to make more chopped beef or more point to flat to make cold sammies.

- cube the point for hot ends as an appetizer.  reheat the burnt ends in the oven or egg prior to serving.  I'd cube the point while it's still hot, much easier.   

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.