Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oh my butt! Questions!

Options
MissingToof
MissingToof Posts: 46
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Put my 11lb butt on last night about 10:30pm, after the temp stabilized at 200, went to bed at 11:30, Egg chugging along. Got up at 6:30am, and very little heat in the Egg. Took temp of butt and its at 100 degrees..... Restarted the egg, and currently (7:00am) Egg temp back at 200. I feel confident that the butt did not reach, agree? The meat will still be ok to eat when it's done? OK to keep temp at my original number (200), should I put a little more, or less heat? Thanks in advance!
HOTTY TODDY!

Comments

• hrchdog
    Options
    200 dome temp is gonna be less at grate level, I do mine at 250 grate level temp. I would be leary of this butt spending that much time in the danger zone, it may have never gotten above 140 in that seven hour period.
    Herrin,IL.
  • GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    Options
    Same thing happened to me twice.

I cook at 220 looking for an internal temp of 195. Pull and tent for an hour.

Most important, invest in a party Q. Never has happened since!!
    When in doubt add more pepper.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Hmmm, if you were working in food service, you would be obliged to pitch the butt. The guidelines has been revised somewhat, but the older statement was maximum 4 hours for uncooked food between 40 & 140 F, and only 2 hours for cooked in the same range. Because you don't know how long the Egg temperature was under 140, it would be not be considered safe.

Is it safe? Was it a bone in butt? If so, the outside was sanitized shortly after the meat went into the Egg. Not very likely it was re-contaminated in the Egg. If its bone out, there is a chance the interior was contaminated, and was no where near the 126 it takes to bring pathogen growth to a halt (altho they are not dead at that point.)

Myself, if its bone in, I would risk it. Bone out, no.

And I would not serve it to toddlers or elders, or anyone else with a weak immune system.

For future reference, have a higher dome temperature for overnighters. Lots of people report fires going out w. dome temps of 225 and lower. Stay up for about 2 hours after putting the food in. Get up once in the middle of the night for a quick check if you don't have a remote thermometer/alarm.

Usually, butts need to get to the 195 - 205 range to be pullable. However, w. a dome temperature of 200, while it will eventually cook, you might be looking at 3 hours a pound.  If you continue, consider upping the dome temp to 275.
  • MissingToof
    Options
    I decided to cut into the meat, it's just a little pink in the center.... I'm thinking its still ok to eat. What say you?
    HOTTY TODDY!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Here's the most basic maxim. "When in doubt, throw it out."

For something done right, there shouldn't be any question. Got a dog or cat(s)?

I'm saying this from the perspective of someone who knows they have had food poisoning (Stuff kept in a fridge that was too warm for 2 days.) Projectile vomiting and 24 hours sharing 1 toilet w. my wife and kid was something i will not go thru again.
  • mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    Options
    +1 from a food poisoning victim.....nothing is worth risking that wonderful experience again.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    3 times: bad butter in theater popcorn, once on Key West conch chowder, last from fried rice in Asian place. Yes you remember them well (over 65 years) and if it was a $1000 hunk of meat I would toss it. No question about it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jimreed777
    Options
    Very, very hard to keep the egg stabilized under 225 - 230 grate for me without my fire being out by morning. I have tried 205 twice and both times the Maverick woke me up and I had to torch the lump again and re-stabilize.

for my MBGE:

Get a good fire going...slowly close down over the next hour, then once stabilized for 30 minutes, 

6 screen squares
    Daisy half open
    Settles at 230 grate overnight

Works every time for me

As far as the butt is concerned, I did not stay in a holiday Inn last night. I am not going to throw in my 2 cents without any appreciable knowledge on the subject.

I have, unfortunately, had food poisoning twice. I never have any problem remembering how many times, and the memories are seared into my mind. 
    :-&
  • MissingToof
    Options
    Well, I decided to toss it.... $9.00 just not worth the risk for the fam and friends. Just ran down to the grocery and picked up a 8lb butt... I also brined a 4lb last night... Injected both, rubbed down, and put them on at 8:45am. Looks like plenty of lump left, even after the cook last night. Refreshed the hickory.... Sitting on the patio, 4th cup of coffee in hand, smoke in the air, GameDay about to come on the TV out here, and waiting on the rain to arrive in Mississippi. Thanks for the advice guys!
    HOTTY TODDY!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I also would have tossed it. Sounds like you've recovered well.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    On your next butt I suggest going to 250-275 dome temp.  There is nothing magical about 200-225.  Pork butts come out great at temps in the 275-300 degree range.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    Well, I decided to toss it.... $9.00 just not worth the risk for the fam and friends.
    Good call.  Lose the battle - win the war.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.