Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

I've got wood

henapplehenapple Posts: 15,975
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Prime rib. Hickory, oak ....?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 25,765
    hahaha - what a masculine title.

Personally, I don't care for a smokey flavor in my standing rib roasts - I think it distracts from the lovely roast beef flavor.  I do like smoke for most everything else.  I think the mild smokiness from the lump is sufficient.  I'm sure other people will disagree.  I can't recall seeing "smoked prime rib" on a menu before either, not that there isn't anywhere....

• Nola,

You always reduce to the lowest common denominator

=))
    thanks....stike gave me grief for being too wordy a couple of times :)

• wordy or woody?
  • TonyATonyA Posts: 582

Blue Smoke in NYC at least used to do a Smoked Prime Rib as a Friday or Saturday night special .. I've had it .. it's very good.  That said, I agree with Nola - keep it to a minimum.  I would use maybe just a couple chunks and I would steer away from hickory, oak or nut woods. I would lean towards Apple and other fruit woods or maybe even Alder.

• henapplehenapple Posts: 15,975
    I might just go with no chips. Doing my first tomorrow...can't wait.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Cherry is a good flavor with prime rib or any beef.
    Evans, GA - 250 Reverse Flow (trailer), Large BGE, custom built cedar table (by me). When in doubt, smoke it.
  • It would be a costly experiment to try it with a rib roast if it did not work out. I would probably not try it just because of that - what if it did not turn out.....The mesquite was great on the prime rib steaks though.
    LBGE
  • This post title needs to be included in the "Suggestive Post Title" thread ;-D
    BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • A worthy contribution.  I will have to work harder now.

XLBGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to my daughter), MBGE and lots of toys